PDA

View Full Version : Fescue or Bermuda?

Jeffd1979
07-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I live right outside Charlotte NC and currently building a house in a neighborhood on a 1/3 acre lot. The neighborhood is new with about 10 out of the planned 210 house already built. They are all currently soded with fescue. At the meeting with the builder he told me that the houses from now on will be Bermuda. Since the contract for my house was signed before this change he is giving me the option of either one. The lawn will have an irrigation system. Which one would you choose. I really have never delt with bermuda but would not be against it. What would you choose?

The planned finish date is December so the lawn would go down in late october.

dKoester
07-21-2007, 10:57 PM
I would go with Fescue. Looks better and stripes better.

cgaengineer
07-21-2007, 11:03 PM
I am guess your climate is similar to here in GA and as dKoester says...fescue looks better, but will likely require more watering.

I have both fescue and bermuda and I am without a irrigation system...the bermuda is far easier to keep green and healthy with minimal watering...the fescue in my rear lawn has been babied and looks great, but if I had it to do all over again it would be bermuda with overseed of rye in winter.

Fescue also has to be overseeded every few years as it doesnt have rhizomes unless its creeping red...where bermuda is self propagating and can actually become a pest if you allow it (flower beds and other places where you dont want it)

ATL Lawn
07-27-2007, 12:34 AM
bremuda sod is 40% cheaper. thats why..

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
07-27-2007, 12:47 AM
bermuda can be a pain in the a$$ to cut. It's extremely thick and grows fast. Fescue is easier to maintain and keep out of flower beds. My bermuda yards are on weekly schedules but really need to be on about 5 day as it grows crazy fast.

Jeffd1979
07-27-2007, 08:28 PM
bermuda can be a pain in the a$$ to cut. It's extremely thick and grows fast. Fescue is easier to maintain and keep out of flower beds. My bermuda yards are on weekly schedules but really need to be on about 5 day as it grows crazy fast.

Ok if I go with fescue and both the neighbors on either side get bermuda how hard is it going to be to keep their yard from taking over my yard?

General Landscaping
07-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Ok if I go with fescue and both the neighbors on either side get bermuda how hard is it going to be to keep their yard from taking over my yard?

If you keep your yard in a bubble, with a root barrier dug into the ground, you have a chance of keeping bermuda out.
If you are not planning on sealing off your property, might as well go with bermuda; because you'll have it eventually.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
07-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately thats true. Alot of yards that I do like this are seperated by flowerbeds or hedge rows.

covalawn
07-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Go with the fescue...At least it will look good through spring!!! If they sod Bermuda in October by Nov it will be brown and look like crap. There is no way of keeping bermuda out of you grass as far as I know. Anytime your neighbor cuts his grass the seeds will blow over to your yard a ditch will do very little for you. The majority or my fescue yards have bermuda in them and look just fine. Keep it cut at 3.5" to 4" and you'll hardly know that the bermuda is in there.

STL Lawn
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I just get a shade mix for overseeding, but my neighbor has fescue and it has taken over half of my yard. Grows in nice and thick, but I don't like it in the fall/winter because it turns yucky brown so half my yard is green and half brown.

Either way you go, be prepared to live with your decision as the only way to get rid of these grasses is a complete kill/reseed.