PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil

Guido
09-02-2001, 07:46 AM
What is the normal break-in period for a motor (new) before you switch over to synthetic oil??

The motor in question is a 2002 Ford V-10.

Thanks!

John DiMartino
09-02-2001, 08:01 AM
I would go at least 2 full oil changes first,but i know friends who have driven it home,drained itand ran Mobil one from the day i was new,with no trouble.The weird thing is ,it is claimed that full synthetics prevent proper break in and seating of the rings-but since 1992-the Corvette has Mobil 1 as factory fill,and it is required in the corvette to maintain warranty.so if its bad for it,why would GM spec it for the factory fill?The reason they need it in the Vette is in 92 and later the pre cats had to be huge ,and right up against the headers to reduce cold start emmisons,the huge pre cats,went right where the engine oil cooler lines used to go,so they had no room for the cooler,and hi speed testing showed that oil temps would exceed 320 degrees at 160-170mph or in road racing,they had to use synthetic,it is the only oil that will take that heat without breaking down or thickening .

P&J Lawncare
09-21-2001, 12:53 AM
I waited till three thousand mile to switch to synthetic for my v-10 ford. Get ready to spend a small fortune on your next oil change but I guess its worth in the long run.

Flex-Deck
09-24-2001, 12:37 PM
I have used synthetic for years, and in my V10 Dodge, it takes 9000 miles to use a quart, at which time I change it. Just grease it every 3000. Cheapest oil I have ever run. I believe it double the life of an engine.

Mowman
10-01-2001, 08:33 PM
20HP Kolher when using regular oil it will use a quart up in 75 hours. Since then I've switched to Mobil 1 Syn. 10w30w and have over 40 hours on it and the oil is still on the full mark no oil added yet. Can someone explain this to me? This oil has made a beliver out of me. Three times the cost of regular oil but for some reason oil consumption has went away. Cheaper in the long run I guess.
Thanks,

Mowman

65hoss
10-04-2001, 12:59 AM
Since the 1st oil change in my F150 (bought New) I have only used mobil 1 15w-50. My race car motors and street car motors have always run Mobil 1. A 400 hp street motor with 50000 miles looked like the day I put it together. The cam and lifters didn't even have a mark on them.