PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question for the Pros

Kaizen28
07-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi

Firstly, a huge thank you to all who contribute to this forum. It has proved to be invaluable reading and has put the brakes on numerous projects in favor of gaining a better understanding before moving forward.

I have the following two questions for a very moderately priced home:
1) In your experience does adding landscape lighting add to the value of a home?
2) Living in a sunny part of the USA I had hoped to use solar power but comments about what is currently available has discouraged me. Is there any energy conscious / efficient way of implementing landscape lighting?

Thanks once again to all.

Kaizen28

NightScenes
07-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi

Firstly, a huge thank you to all who contribute to this forum. It has proved to be invaluable reading and has put the brakes on numerous projects in favor of gaining a better understanding before moving forward.

I have the following two questions for a very moderately priced home:
1) In your experience does adding landscape lighting add to the value of a home?I would have to say yes. Any time you improve a home, you add value. The real estate industry did a study several years ago and found that quality landscape lighting adds a "perceived" 20% increase in value. This is NOT a true 20% increase in value but it means that the home APPEARS to be worth 20% more. I believe that the true value is closer to the cost of the project. This is only my opinion though.
2) Living in a sunny part of the USA I had hoped to use solar power but comments about what is currently available has discouraged me. Is there any energy conscious / efficient way of implementing landscape lighting? I would say that low voltage lighting is an energy conscious and efficient way of implementing landscape lighting.

Thanks once again to all.

Kaizen28

I hope this answers your questions.

Good luck with your project.

Kaizen28
07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Paul

Thanks for the feedback! I'd really hoped that LEDs had reached a point where you folk were recommending them but it seems not to be the case.

I gues it's time for me to do more research and find a good installer - not to mention a decent design. I'm absolutely hopeless and get suckered by the "lots of pretty lights" in the advertising pictures.

Lighting a home to look like a Christmas tree has its place but it's not the look I'm going for. ;)

Thanks again!

NightScenes
07-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Here is someone to contact in your state.

John Garner
Southern Lights
PO Box 17202
Raleigh , NC 27619
Phone: (919) 755-0380
FAX: (919) 833-5087
E-Mail: Havalite4U@aol.com