PDA

View Full Version : Cubic yard conversion (Mulch)

TheLawnShark
07-22-2007, 01:26 PM
I know that this should be simple to figure out, but I am having difficulties:

How do you measure a bed, tree, or anything to convert it into a cubic yard??
I usually charge by the hour, but want to start doing it by the yard instead. I know it 3x3x3 but how do you go about measuring something to get it into that?????

grandview (2006)
07-22-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.grandviewlandscaping.com/chart.htm

tthomass
07-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I just figure 1yd per 300 SF.....spread a yard, see what it covers and there you have it. Depends on how thick you're doing it.

Dotens
07-22-2007, 03:01 PM
stick to the per hour rate. there is too many variables when you do it per yard. How far the trucking is, slope, # of shrubs and plants, etc. Sure you can adjust your per yard price but you cover all of your bases doing it by the hour and you are guaranteed not to cut yourself short. Just my 2 cents. Try project calc from wal-mart or home depo. It makes doing conversions very simple seeing how it has a conversion button built in. You can get them for about 20.00. Well worth it.

tthomass
07-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a per cubic yard price I stick with but then dependant upon location and prep I charge extra. If I just did an hourly rate I'd lose money but that is because I don't mark up material to make up for being productive.

cks dad
07-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Depending on how much bed prep needs to be done is how i charge.If no bed prep is to be done just deliver and install it is 60 per yard.If there is alot of weeding and bed edging and depending on type of mulch it is between 75-100 per yard.I hope this is some help.

GLLawns
07-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Try under the free tools link at the top of page, it has a mulch/soil calculator on there.

TheLawnShark
07-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all of the help so far. It has definately made this confusion much easier to understand!

JimLewis
07-24-2007, 02:57 AM
LawnShark,

I think this program (see attachment) is what you are after. You just plug in the specific dimensions and the depth of the product you intend to install (1", 2" or 3", etc.) and it gives you the exact number of yards you will need. Play around with it, I think you will like it. It's called "Barkdust Calculator" but it applies to any product really. You can use it for bark, mulch, soil, gravel, whatever.

Well.... Apparently you can't upload MS Excel files up to lawnsite. Lord knows why.... :confused: ....Anyway, just email me and I'll reply with that file attached to my email. My email address is similar to mob1lej1m@lew1slandscape.com. Just replace the 1's with the letter i.