PDA

View Full Version : culvert clogged

craftbender
07-22-2007, 02:35 PM
My driveway culvert is clogged and needs to be cleaned out. Eight inches in diameter and 30 feet long. Any ideas?

turfquip
07-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Wow that's a small diameter pipe compared to what I'm used to seeing.

My first guess would be a powerful stream of water inserted from the lowest side to free up the mud and junk. A small hydroseeder would put out a powerful stream with the turret nozzle. Other than that, maybe a garden hose fished in with a cleanup nozzle?

P.Services
07-22-2007, 02:55 PM
get some king of metal pole and slam it threw it hammer it kick it beat it what ever it takes then fill the high side with water and as the water goes threw that little hole it will start to wash it out keep pushing that pole around to help out. ok and if that dose not work block off one end with about 2 yards of dirt then drill a 1/2'' hole in it, pour about 2 gallons of gas in it and shoot a can of either in that thing and give it a light!!! i bet it wont be cloged any more!!:laugh: :laugh:

Mike33
07-22-2007, 04:18 PM
In my area a lot of people has the local VFD to flush it out with a 1 1/2 " hose.
Mike

craftbender
07-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the replys. Just after starting this thread I got an idea. Took a length of rebar and welded some spokes in the center and formed some eyes on each end. I fished a chain through the culvert and hooked a chain on both ends in case it got stuck so I could pull it back through. Pulled it through with my Kubota BX 24 a few times and now it is unclogged. Yippiekia.

zedosix
07-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the replys. Just after starting this thread I got an idea. Took a length of rebar and welded some spokes in the center and formed some eyes on each end. I fished a chain through the culvert and hooked a chain on both ends in case it got stuck so I could pull it back through. Pulled it through with my Kubota BX 24 a few times and now it is unclogged. Yippiekia.

How do you fish a chain thru a clogged culvert?

craftbender
07-22-2007, 11:26 PM
How do you fish a chain thru a clogged culvert?

I had some 1/4 diameter steel rod and welded several pieces together and formed a hook on one end and managed to push it through hooked the chain and pulled it through the culvert.

I must warn you; Never try to push a chain through a culvert.

ChampionLS
07-23-2007, 09:13 PM
What was it clogged with? Leaves, Muck, Bung, Scunge, Blech?

zedosix
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
What was it clogged with? Leaves, Muck, Bung, Scunge, Blech?

Darn, we should of got him to click a pic before he cleaned it up.

craftbender
07-24-2007, 01:07 AM
We bought the property three years ago and did a lot of work on the house before really getting around working the landscaping. No telling how long what I will describe as sludge has been building up. It was't totally stopped up but now is clean. The house is over fifty years old.

Turbo
08-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Fire Department

Majesticman
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
It is hard to push a chain. I have tried several times with no luck. :)