PDA

View Full Version : LS170 problem (wont start)

JWilson07
07-22-2007, 06:22 PM
well i'm not familiar with working on skid steers and I wasn't paying attention yesterday and ran all the fuel out of my LS170...I put more diesel fuel in it this morning and tried to start it and it won't start...do I need to prime it or something?...I don't know how to prime the engine if that's what it needs...I guess i've just got air bubbles in the lines from running the fuel out...but how can I fix this?

Thanks

Fieldman12
07-22-2007, 06:46 PM
You will have to bleed the entire system. Hopefully you have a manual to show you the procedure. First the fuel filter will have to be full. There should be a bleed scree on it. Some have a bleed screw at the pump and then bleed each injector. All brands are a little different but very similar to the next. A good indication when your cranking and starting to get fuel is a little smoke out the exhaust pipe.

Fieldman12
07-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Some times you will not have to bleed everything but based on what you said of running it out of fuel I would say the complete system is dry.

wanabe
07-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Fill the filter back up, crack all the injector lines(nut on tube at injector) and crank it over for a while to get the air out. If you shut it down right away, you may be able to just give it a little starting fluid when you crank it over. Just do not over do the starting fluid.

cat2
07-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Fill the filter back up, crack all the injector lines(nut on tube at injector) and crank it over for a while to get the air out. If you shut it down right away, you may be able to just give it a little starting fluid when you crank it over. Just do not over do the starting fluid.

You shouldn't have to use starting fluid. It should start once all the air is out

JWilson07
07-22-2007, 07:48 PM
I took the line off running from my fuel filter to the injector pump and filled it up with fuel and stuck it back on...and it'd start up, run for a few seconds...then cut back off...it just burns the fuel up in the line then doesn't get anymore fuel...when I turn the key one click, should I hear my fuel pump pumping fuel out of the tank?...I thought I used to always hear it pumping up before I started it, now I don't hear anything

cat2
07-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Kinda sounds like something in the pump. I hope there isn't anything wrong with it.:cry:

ksss
07-22-2007, 09:46 PM
You need to charge the system with fuel. I would guess if your machine is only a few years old it would have the same engine that the CASE machines have. you need to open that bleeder valve and use the hand pump or crank the engine until the air is purged from the system. After you have properly bled the system you can better troubleshoot the remaining problems if there are any.

JWilson07
07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
You need to charge the system with fuel. I would guess if your machine is only a few years old it would have the same engine that the CASE machines have. you need to open that bleeder valve and use the hand pump or crank the engine until the air is purged from the system. After you have properly bled the system you can better troubleshoot the remaining problems if there are any.

It's an '03, I'm not sure if it has the same engine the case machines have...all I know is that it is a 52HP turbo diesel...and I dont see any hand pump on there to prime it...and i've tried cranking the engine, but it still wont start

wanabe
07-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Did you open the injector lines at the injectors, and crank the motor over? Is the filter full? There should be a pump somewhere, but I am not sure on a NH. Post a couple of fuel line pics and maybe someone can point out the hand pump if it has one.

JWilson07
07-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Did you open the injector lines at the injectors, and crank the motor over? Is the filter full? There should be a pump somewhere, but I am not sure on a NH. Post a couple of fuel line pics and maybe someone can point out the hand pump if it has one.

I didn't have time to open the injector lines tonight...but the fuel filter poured out fuel when I opened the bottom of it...I know where my transfer pump is and everything is but I don't think it has a hand pump...i'm just wondering why it'll start up for a few second if I fill the line going to the injection pump then just shut off after it uses the fuel I put it...seems like it should just pull more fuel through and blow all the air out that way?

Fieldman12
07-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Just because the fuel filter pours fluid out of the bottom does not mean its is always full. There should be a bleed screw on the filter ( usually top) and not too far from where the line is that runs to the injector. Fuel must be pouring out of here first. Once it is close the bleed screw. Next go to the pump. Not sure if yours has a bleed screw on the pump or not. Call NH to find out. Then go to the injectors and loosen the line to each. If your injector pump or line has a hand pump some where until you have a fuel coming out around one injector line. Close that line and go to each other injector and close each one by one as you get fuel to each. If you have had fuel all the way to the injectors it has to start. That is provided the lift pump has not gave out.

Bluenose II
07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't know if you are still having a problem. I just saw this post. I have 3 ls170's... 03,04,06 and none require bleeding after a fuel run out. Just turn on the key and wait. Electric fuel pump will get it through. Wait about 3 minutes then try to start machine at 1/2 throttle or so. Should go. Let me know if you still have trouble.

JWilson07
07-26-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't know if you are still having a problem. I just saw this post. I have 3 ls170's... 03,04,06 and none require bleeding after a fuel run out. Just turn on the key and wait. Electric fuel pump will get it through. Wait about 3 minutes then try to start machine at 1/2 throttle or so. Should go. Let me know if you still have trouble.

I think my pump may have just went bad...because I thought I had about 2 bars left when the skid loader cut off (i'm not sure how much fuel would still be left in there with 2 bars though), so I tried shakin it and everything and I couldn't hear any fuel in the tank...so I just figured I ran it out of fuel...but now when I turn the key...my fuel pump doesn't start running...I checked all the fuses in the back and they were alright except there was a 25A fuse in the EIC spot and the cover called for a 5A fuse...all the fuses are good over my right ear, but there is no cover for them, and I don't have an owner's manual to tell what they are even for...the outside of the lift pump is pretty rusty...so I guess it may have just gone bad...either that or just something electrical...when I get the chance, i'll stick a test light down there to see if they are getting any current

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it