PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Skid Steer

carcrz
07-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Anyone ever paint theirs? My Case came from a quarry & is a bit on the rough side. It has plenty of life left so I was thinking about cleaning it up. How hard would it be to do? Do you have to take it all apart or what's the best way to go about it? :drinkup:

P.Services
07-22-2007, 10:16 PM
i have painted enought stuff in my day to be able to say take it to a dealer about 1500 bucks with new decals is well worth the price. but if you dont want to sand it up with a d a sander and 80 grit tape tape tape and tape some more and then squirt it yellow. painting is all in the prep so prep prep prep.

carcrz
07-22-2007, 10:20 PM
So you think I'd be good doing the majority of the prep work & then let them mess w/ the rest?

Mike33
07-22-2007, 10:37 PM
I was 15 year auto-body before i started this business. The worst thing would be the grease big no-no when it comes to paint. Then the places over spray could go would be to to mask. Like hyd. lines and hoses.
Mike

tallrick
07-22-2007, 10:43 PM
I have painted mine and a couple of others. Mine was a complete teardown and paint, but most are painted with the wheels off, and engine and a few things covered and/or removed. On my machines it has always been time for a rebuild when it was time to paint.

RockSet N' Grade
07-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Haven't done a skid, but we did our excavator this winter. It was in bad shape. I know we did a better job than any shop would have done. We spent a huge amount of time in the prep work. We sanded and did some grinding and some metal filling ( no bondo ) and got one section at a time silky smooth - then went to the next section. We spent almost as much time masking and taping to make sure there was going to be no overspray. The painting was easy. Like it was stated before, the key to a good or great paint job is in the prep work. We are glad we did it ourselves because of the sense of accomplishment, and even to the untrained eye, our machine outshines the others. I think it has also encouraged us to take an extra bit of pride in our equipment and I think this transfers over into less abuse and a longer life ( at least this is my hope). When we put it back together after doing a bunch of panel painting, we used alot of stainless bolts and washers and that gives it a little more of a touch of class vs. just squirting over existing nuts and bolts with paint. I bet we spent over a week in prep work and when it came down to the actual paint application, 3 coats of paint with light sanding inbetween each coat where necessary took about 1 1/2 days. I think it was worth it for me........it was a good winter project.

RockSet N' Grade
07-22-2007, 11:07 PM
As an aside.......I own a new Gehl 5640 skid. We are going to yank off the cab this winter and repaint the dark grey cab a bright white. The dark grey just seems to absorb alot of heat, and even with air conditioning, with it being 106 degrees here it is still pretty near toasty.

tallrick
07-23-2007, 01:59 AM
Also a well painted machine makes it easier to clean, and spot leaks before they stop you in your tracks. You will find a lot of other potential problems in a used machine if you end up disassembling it as well.

mow king
07-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Theres a dealer in town that paints them for $750 for retail customers, $500 if another dealer comes in.

I use him, he takes off the cab and preps everything. Then I Just go on ebay and buy a set of decals for $75.