DURAMAX:weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter:
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1.html

lawnmaniac883
07-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Put manuals in them trucks and see who wins

02DURAMAX
07-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Put manuals in them trucks and see who wins

They did that already and ford won that one then chevy and last in place dodge...look for it....its on the same website.

Plus who wants to be driving a stick truck all day in small towns?.....I sure don't.

IA_James
07-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, if the stick doesn't sway you, how about we run the same test at 300k miles on the truck?

02DURAMAX
07-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Well, if the stick doesn't sway you, how about we run the same test at 300k miles on the truck?

I'm not beating on cummins....my dad has a 99 Volvo With a Cummins N-14 and has 1,325,000 Miles on it and no overhaul.....I was just sharing the test they did.

TXNSLighting
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
The duramax has come along away. It definately used to suck. but now im vry interested in it. not saying id buy one, but i like it. still hate the chevy tho.

Gravel Rat
07-24-2007, 03:43 PM
That testing seemed to be a little GM biased or GM sponsered quite abit of it.

I never beleive those tests because its who ever gives the testers the most money wins.

I was a little surprised on how well the V-10 in the Ford did. Makes a person wonder why you would buy the 6.4 diesel if you use the truck for a daily driver and tow a RV trailer occasionally. The V-10 is a little heavy on the fuel but I don't think the 6.4 is good on fuel either.

I was reading that the new 6.7 Cummins is a pig on fuel and its having problems with computer reflashes. Guys trading in new 6.7s for 5.9s .

Then you see that GM sold Allison transmission so the cost of putting a Allison in a GM truck will be more expensive.

TXNSLighting
07-24-2007, 06:30 PM
yeh diesel power mag did a test between identical f-250's one with a v-10 and one with the powerstroke. the powerstroke won everything by a longshot...makes you wonder...and the 6.4's are doing quite good on fuel consumption. and i just heard yesterday from a few people who hate the 6.7 cummins.

Gravel Rat
07-24-2007, 08:50 PM
The enviromental regulations are making P/U trucks very expensive and hard to repair. The new Cummins is suffering from enviromental regulations itis.

Dodge and Cummins has gotten away from the polution regulations for so long now its about time they got a taste of the pain the azz it is.

Cummins is trying to use EGR systems and Urea where engine builders like International and Cat are using particulate filters.

mag360
07-24-2007, 11:16 PM
They did that already and ford won that one then chevy and last in place dodge...look for it....its on the same website.

Plus who wants to be driving a stick truck all day in small towns?.....I sure don't.

I think you saw the gassers--Ford's v10/torqshift combo is the best thing out there in the spark ignition category now that gm dropped the 8.1/allison combo. Dodge needs a more efficient trans to compete with the others (bigger motor too)

mag360
07-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Comparisons seemed pretty fair to me. I actually thought the writer had a ford bias but stuck to the facts well enough.

I suspect GM is a little conservative in their power ratings/or Ford is overstating the 6.4 as the '08s seem to dyno 300-310 rwhp stock while the new 6.6's run in the 330-340 range. I haven't seen numbers on the 6.7 but wouldn't expect anything too impressive other than power and torque peaking at much lower rpms (which doesn't mean a lot now that so many are mated to the automatic trans)

Not sure about the 6.4 having great fuel economy but I guess some of the 6.0's did well and the 6.4 is off the same platform right? Word is Ford will be dropping them anyway and designing their own small diesel.

"Ground Control"
07-25-2007, 02:13 AM
I think it was a fair test. GM Biased?...Ford is the one that donated the use of their test facilities....and they still couldnt win ......CHEVY:weightlifter:
That testing seemed to be a little GM biased or GM sponsered quite abit of it.

I never beleive those tests because its who ever gives the testers the most money wins.

I was a little surprised on how well the V-10 in the Ford did. Makes a person wonder why you would buy the 6.4 diesel if you use the truck for a daily driver and tow a RV trailer occasionally. The V-10 is a little heavy on the fuel but I don't think the 6.4 is good on fuel either.

I was reading that the new 6.7 Cummins is a pig on fuel and its having problems with computer reflashes. Guys trading in new 6.7s for 5.9s .

Then you see that GM sold Allison transmission so the cost of putting a Allison in a GM truck will be more expensive.

TXNSLighting
07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
its pretty obvious the truck with more horse and torque is going to win....especially with an allison. just thinkabout all the trucks without the emission crap on them. think abut the power then! yeh the 6.4 is on the same patform, just built alot better. if it werent for the emmision stuff i would be buying one.

lawnmaniac883
07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
The enviromental regulations are making P/U trucks very expensive and hard to repair. The new Cummins is suffering from enviromental regulations itis.

Dodge and Cummins has gotten away from the polution regulations for so long now its about time they got a taste of the pain the azz it is.

Cummins is trying to use EGR systems and Urea where engine builders like International and Cat are using particulate filters.

Cummins isnt using Urea in the 6.7L thats in the p/u trucks those get particulate filters and "cooled EGR" Diesel power mag about two issues ago was talking about the potential use of Urea and Hydrogen as exhaust aftertreatments that could be set in place in the future. Maybe in their ISC and ISX range they have Urea, I dont know.

stuffdeer
07-25-2007, 12:21 PM

I do it right now. I don't mind it, and in fact, my next truck will be a stick as well.

J&R Landscaping
07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I would have no problem driving stickshift in a truck as well! Auto's are nice for when your plowing and stuff but it can be done on a stick shift just the same. The allision trannies never impressed me at all, except how junky they were. (In the medium duty class anyhow)
A local towing company I used to drive for has a fleet of internationals. All of them are 05-07 except for 1 2001. All of them have the allison tranny in them. They only have two trucks (an 06 and 07) that have yet to need at least 1 tranny rerplacement. The truck I drove had 94k miles on it when it needed a rebuild. The longest they have gone was to 134k. Sh!t, you can get 100k easy out of a clutch on them medium duties if you drive them right. Plus the clutches are a lot easier to replace than a complete tranny IMO.

W.L.S.27
07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I think that someone should drop a CAT engine coupled with an Allison trans into a pickup truck. (I would say Chevy because they are the only trucks I have ever owned; and they have been good to me) But whatever... you get the idea

02DURAMAX
07-25-2007, 11:27 PM
I think it was a fair test. GM Biased?...Ford is the one that donated the use of their test facilities....and they still couldnt win ......CHEVY:weightlifter:

I Agree 100% with Gravel Rat and Ground Control!!

02DURAMAX
07-25-2007, 11:36 PM
I would have no problem driving stickshift in a truck as well! Auto's are nice for when your plowing and stuff but it can be done on a stick shift just the same. The allision trannies never impressed me at all, except how junky they were. (In the medium duty class anyhow)
A local towing company I used to drive for has a fleet of internationals. All of them are 05-07 except for 1 2001. All of them have the allison tranny in them. They only have two trucks (an 06 and 07) that have yet to need at least 1 tranny rerplacement. The truck I drove had 94k miles on it when it needed a rebuild. The longest they have gone was to 134k. Sh!t, you can get 100k easy out of a clutch on them medium duties if you drive them right. Plus the clutches are a lot easier to replace than a complete tranny IMO.

Yea i dont mind a stick truck but if its ganna be a work truck i rather buy it automatic....I snow plow in the winter so thats why i bought it....also you dont have as much power with a stick and a duramax engine...

As for the Allison.....they must have some bad driver or something because i have an uncle with a Chevy C6500 with the Cat/Allison Combo and has more that 175,000 Miles on it with not problems at all....and another friend with a Chevy C5500 Duramax/Allison that has 155,000 Miles and no Problems too....And both are dump trucks Registerd for 26,000lb..

fiveoboy01
07-30-2007, 03:23 PM

Huh? Allison Transmissions are the closest thing I've ever seen to bulletproof when it comes to class 7 and 8 trucks. And I maintain plenty of them.

Don't know how you figure a clutch is easier to replace than an auto tranny when you still have to pull the manual tranny out to replace the clutch....

J&R Landscaping
08-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Huh? Allison Transmissions are the closest thing I've ever seen to bulletproof when it comes to class 7 and 8 trucks. And I maintain plenty of them.

Don't know how you figure a clutch is easier to replace than an auto tranny when you still have to pull the manual tranny out to replace the clutch....

Our towing manager just ordered a new truck and and he ordered it with a 6 speed eaton tranny. He said his shop guys can do a clutch R&R in approx 6-8 hours. They wont even attempt to do a R&R on an allison tranny, it goes to the international dealer for that.

He said he's sick and tired of repair bills for the auto trannies.

TLS
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Our towing manager just ordered a new truck and and he ordered it with a 6 speed eaton tranny. He said his shop guys can do a clutch R&R in approx 6-8 hours. They wont even attempt to do a R&R on an allison tranny, it goes to the international dealer for that.

He said he's sick and tired of repair bills for the auto trannies.

Maybe he's just being cheap and trying to disguise it with his facts?

The Allison is a pretty salty option in the medium duty trucks.

As far as speed (around town/traffic/etc) goes, no manually shifted trans can match an automatic.

Only negative I've heard of with Allison's in Med/HD chassis is fuel economy around town.