PDA

View Full Version : New home owner and rookie lawnkeeper. HELP!

luvinvermont
07-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the lawn mowing / lawn maintenance world Last year my father bought me a used Toro, sorry I am at work and don't have the make or model. It has a 17 HP OHV motor.

This past week I was mowing the lawn, when I was finished mowing the lawn it sputtered a few times then stalled. I was not able to turn it over again. I pushed the into the garage, over night I smelled of gas really bad. On saturday I tried starting again, no luck. I checked the oil and noticed something fishy, it smelled of gas and the oil was very clear and thin. I drain the oil and about a gallon of gas come pouring out!!

I am in the process of trouble shooting, anyone have any clue what could have happened.

Thanks for any help!!!

khouse
07-23-2007, 10:39 AM
You've gotten trash under your needle in the carb. Remove carb - clean and blow it out. Drain fuel tank and replace fuel filter. Change oil and filter. This should do it.

John Stiles
07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Some mowers/engines use a fuel pump that works off the crankcase pressure...usually attached to a valve cover by a rubber hose.....it could be that the diaphram in the pump is ruptured allowing fuel into the motor. Do not try to start it again till all traces of fuel have left the crankcase, and fumes have died down...also, push it outside!

luvinvermont
07-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the great information. I will be taking the Carb out this weekend and giving a good cleaning. along with the oil/filter change before I try and fire her back up!

I did push it outside, this of course after about 1/2 gallon of gas ended up on my garage floor :)

libby_arts
07-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't know if your unit has it or not, but you might try looking for the fuel shut off . It is prob. located on the bottom of the tank. If it is not there trace the line down to the carb.