PDA

View Full Version : Truck leaking transmission fluid

JJG84
07-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Hello all,

I usually never take my 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 4 x 4 on long road trips but last weekend I decided to take a 3 hr road trip to Pennsylvania. I drove there, and everything was fine. stayed there for a night.

The next morning I needed to put my truck in 4 x 4 only for a minute and then put it back into 2wd. I drove the 3 hr ride home, and everything was fine.

later on in the evening I noticed large amounts of transmission fluid all over the driveway and I noticed it was leaking from the transmission.

What is my problem here?

What can I do to fix this?

thanks in advance :waving:

JJG84
07-23-2007, 04:08 PM
http://a376.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/89/l_842399cd7d3fd661f33154eb95989b8f.jpg

Restrorob
07-23-2007, 06:16 PM
From what I can tell it looks like it's leaking from behind the inspection cover, If so either the torque converter seal or the front pump O-ring let loose. I have also seen torque converters crack at the seal area where they engage the front pump.

Any of the above will require removal of the trans. and torque converter to inspect which failed.

Good Luck

topsites
07-24-2007, 10:11 AM
It's probably the front seal, I had the same problem on my '86 d-250.

Do yourself a favor and take it to a shop, it will run you several 100 but they have to remove the tranny to get to it, it's worth it.
I got them to change fluid and filter at the time as well, I think all in all it was $400, not sure thou, but the fluid and filter change is good if it hasn't been done, then everything is gtg for a solid 10-20k miles (after which you need to start changing fluid and filter).

And yeah, it will drip-drip-drip until you fix it, now you want to start carrying a gallon of trans fluid with you at all times and top it off when it starts to slip, either way it costs a fortune, that's the bad news, so I'd get it fixed asap.

Depending on the shop, they might call you middle of the day and try to scare you into thinking you need a new tranny...
They did to me, thou my tranny really was pretty worn, but this you can feel free to ignore, so long it works don't replace it.

That is unless you're familiar with the procedure, which, no offense but from the sound of the question... :)

JJG84
07-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, fellas.

As long as the tranny does not have to be replaced, I am somewhat relieved. I think I posted this problem on here not only to ease my emotions but to gain some knowledge. and it has worked both ways, let me tell ya!

Thanks again