PDA

View Full Version : New back yard -Centipede - Seed? Sod? Prep?

j_nolesfan
07-23-2007, 02:20 PM
My new house came with only a graded back yard. I've been in this house for a year now and I have quite a few weeds growing in the bare dirt. Right now, a pallet of Centipede is pretty expensive, around $100 the last time I checked. So, I'd like to entertain the idea of seeding. I plan to use Centipede as it's the grass of choice in my area and all of the rest of my yard is Centipede as well. I have just completed an install of a sprinkler system so watering shouldn't be an issue.

Now, if I were to seed the yard, how best would I prep it? I'm thinking something like, disk the back yard with a tractor, rake it by hand or possibly box blade it if I can get one. Then, possibly put down some fertilizer or something to encourage growth. Finally, once the seed is spread, throw a thin layer of peat on it to hold the seed in place. It's July now and our growing season will stop in October or early November in my estimation. As for prep, is disking sufficient or would I do better to use a herbicide first to kill off any growth?

Now for the sodding option, it really boils down to prep work. Should I use herbicide before or after disking if at all? Would disking be sufficient?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

nmurph
07-24-2007, 04:12 PM
i have tried seeding for centipede. i had very little success. i watered it exactly as the directions said. my suggestion, and i have done this before, is to by your pallet of grass and a hatchet. chop the sod into 3-4 inch squares and sprig this out on 9-12 inch centers. you may not get complete coverage this yr, but you will be suprised how it wil fill in. another technique i have used is to take post hole diggers and dig about 15 plugs out of good spots in my yard, dig a shallow hole with the the PHD's and plug the grass in. then take the soil from those holes back to where the donors came from and fill in the holes. in a month or so, the donor areas will have grown over.

ed2hess
07-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Use round-up to knock down everything and then in mid August just plant the bermuda and water 5 times a day for about 5 minutes. I don't know any need for any prep unless it is not level...can get that blue stuff to hold moisture when seed is sprouting...Home depot has it.

nmurph
07-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Use round-up to knock down everything and then in mid August just plant the bermuda and water 5 times a day for about 5 minutes. I don't know any need for any prep unless it is not level...can get that blue stuff to hold moisture when seed is sprouting...Home depot has it.

he's asking about centipede........
agreed about the round-up........just give a week or so after the last app bf you seed or sod.

j_nolesfan
07-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys. I'll probably do the plug thing. Once I figure out the number of pallets I can afford, I'll probably sod it solid for the parts closest to the house (I already have a thin strip) and then start checkerboarding or chopping up the sod pieces and spreading them out.
Regards,
Jeff