PDA

View Full Version : idler pulley question?

timmac
07-23-2007, 11:10 PM
could a frayed belt cause the idler pulley to have a lot of vibration in it and not rotate well and have a knocking sound?

tomgolfs44
07-23-2007, 11:48 PM
I'd say to replace the idler pulley and the belt....just too easy not to do.

Restrorob
07-24-2007, 12:32 AM
could a frayed belt cause the idler pulley to have a lot of vibration in it and not rotate well and have a knocking sound?

Is this a trick question ?

timmac
07-24-2007, 12:39 AM
not a trick question. just wondering why my idler pulley is jumping around so bad when I idle down?

Restrorob
07-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Well then, The answer is sure. A frayed or flat spotted belt could do this. If this is the deck drive belt/idler you are speaking of you may try disengaging (turning deck off) at speed then idle the engine down. Doing this in most cases will eliminate a lot of idler bounce/vibration.

But if the damage is already done replace both belt and idler as tomgolfs44 mentioned.

topsites
07-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Done went through this school, must've frayed 2-3 belts before I learned.

What I learned is both can affect the other, first a frayed belt could mess around your idler pulley and cause other annoying malfunctions. And, a bad idler pulley could in turn fray your belt, too.

Unless you are 100% sure the bearing's fine, I'd replace both belt and pulley and be done with it, it all depends how old it is, I'd say 5-8 years or if you can't remember when last or it doesn't look too new = replace it.
Or take a chance and replace just the belt, then monitor it and the pulley, watch how it runs, if it still wobbles or vibrates, the pulley bearing is likely to be bad as well.

timmac
07-24-2007, 11:50 AM
it is a hustler mini z with only 120 hours on it. only used for 1 season last year and so far this year. my dad is only using it on his yard. the belt has been frayed for a while though. now the idler pulley is vibrating real bad. it is not the deck idler pulley. any more comments will be appreciated.

Restrorob
07-24-2007, 01:03 PM
If the belt is bad replace it and be done with it !!!

timmac
07-26-2007, 12:38 AM
he replaced the belt and it is running like a charm.