PDA

View Full Version : When to Aerate?

CustomKare
07-23-2007, 11:38 PM
In the Midwest.....I figure September to aerate. Anybody else?

Premo Services
07-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Yup september october november is the best time to do core aeration. You will get the most benifits from it then.
I have some customers who like to get an aeration in the spring and fall.

wahlturfcare
07-24-2007, 10:32 AM
i do mine between september and october and in the spring.

mdlwn1
07-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I you are seeding over it, november is too late.

Premo Services
07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
I you are seeding over it, november is too late.

Mabey where you are located, but I have done seeding with fescue and aerations in beginning and middle of november and had good results.

mdlwn1
07-24-2007, 11:21 AM
You can get away wth anything...as each year the temp is different. But, as a generalized answer, november is too late. It's too late to grow grass in a reasonable amount of time, It's too late to show quick minded customers gratification. And the leaves sitting on it....................................Usually a juggling act.

PSUturf
07-29-2007, 04:14 PM
If you are working with an irrigated lawn you could aerify in the summer but as a general rule after Labor Day. Ideally you want moist soil so that you get maximum tine penetration.

americanlawn
07-29-2007, 05:11 PM
We aerate from late September thru early December -- just so the ground is not frozen. We try to aerate lawns with sprinkler systems before they are winterized, so the heads can be marked. I prefer as late as possible to aerate my own lawn because usually, we pull out the best plugs then ( there are several reasons why this is).

Some here mentioned seeding. Usually the best time to seed w/Kentucky bluegrass is late August thru early Sept in the Midwest, but if you want to dormant seed, best time is November thru December. Most "goff" courses here seed late August.

sildoc
07-29-2007, 06:26 PM
We aerate all year. 600 in spring and pick up straglers through out the year. all have to have irrgation, did one saturday with over seed. should sprout by friday. Just plan the heat and make sure they water heavy 3 days before and let dry at least a day.

Turf Manager
07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Aeration should be done in time for the grass to heal it'self. August if ground will allow. Think what you are trying to accomplish by aerating. Soil compaction relief, fert.,air, moisture etc to plants roots. Remember the benefits are 10 times any negatives.