PDA

View Full Version : Spray Sealing

W.F.D. Plower
07-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I have been sealing driveways and parking lots as well as custom sweeping and line spraying since the spring and it's a good and profitable business-I only to it part time. My question is do any of you were a breathing mask? The MSDS says to were a simple N95 dust mask. I guy I bought the equipment from said he never wore one. And he sells this equipment for a living. I was just wondering what you guys do. The stuff I use is called Aliphatic Solvent I believe

Mdirrigation
07-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Better to error on the side of caution . If the material you use is solvent based I would say yes . We use coal tar , and I wear masks only when spraying. We broom most of our work .

W.F.D. Plower
07-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Ya thanks, thats what I asumed. It's nice to have a second opinion sometimes

NPCA
07-26-2007, 01:41 PM
The word "solvent" is the key. You may need more than a "cheap" mask to be really safe. Most of these sealers have been banned in 13 NE states because they have large amounts of naphtha or similar solvents and very high VOC levels. So depending on the breeze & such you might be just fine but on a still day if you are spraying all around yourself you may be breathing very high levels of solvent vapors (especially if it is a warm-still day) and that is as unhealthy as using solvents in an enclosed space indoors due to the much higher quantity of "gallons" and the fact the fumes can be coming right up to where you are breathing them; almost like having your face over a can of paint thinner. If you ever start feeling "funny" lightheaded or nauseous STOP and wait for a breezy day or get a good respirator. It's as bad for you in that case as the poor kids WO get a "high" from inhaling the stuff.
Normally people who have used this stuff a long time have either developed a tolerance to it (not good-still killing brain cells) or the breeze outdoors dilutes the fumes enough so as to not be harmful.

As the above said; better safe than sorry. That's why they have MSD sheets ;)

NealMfg/SalesMgr
08-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Very good subject!!

I totally agree with NCPA on this one. One thing I would like to add is depending on how part time you are should determine the level of protection yu use. My best advise when you start doing this alot, hire a young spray guy!!! Then provide him protection!!