PDA

View Full Version : Zerk Problems

Runzwiscizzers
07-24-2007, 02:21 PM
So I am in my second year with my Scag Tiger Cub. Being a homeowner I only put 50-60 hours a year on the machine. Last year after the first season, I had the dealer do a season end tune up, getting it ready for storage.

So this year, being more comfortable with the machine, I decide I am going to grease the zerk fittings. First fitting I try, the hose connection to the zerk goes on fine, grease slides in. One problem, now I can't get the hose off the zerk. Are these all the same size? Hint: new grease gun, using Mobil 1 grease. Any advise would be appreciated, I mean, this should be so easy!!!!

Thanks

ericg
07-24-2007, 02:57 PM
The fitting that fits on the Zerk is adjustable to accomodate various size fittings. The fitting at the end of the hose is actually two pieces screwed together. Put a pair of pliers on the side closest to the hose and put another pair of pliers on the side closest to the zerk and unscrew the fitting a little and the zerk will be free.

pugs
07-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Pull harder or slowly push it to one side and it should come free. The nozzile will probably be tight at first being new.

Runzwiscizzers
07-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I will check it out tonite

ed2hess
07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
The fitting that fits on the Zerk is adjustable to accomodate various size fittings. The fitting at the end of the hose is actually two pieces screwed together. Put a pair of pliers on the side closest to the hose and put another pair of pliers on the side closest to the zerk and unscrew the fitting a little and the zerk will be free.

That is a good piece of advise...didn't know you could loosen them up ...I am afraid I was going to pull zert out.

fixer67
07-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Back pressure in the grease hose locks the coupler to the fitting. If the fitting is bad or too much pressure builds up in the area below the fitting the coupler may not release easy. Most of the time when this happens simply rocking the coupler back and forth so the grease will vent out around the fitting and the coupler will release. Back pressure is really the only thing that holds the coupler to the fitting in the first place. The more pressure the hard the coupler grabs the fitting.