PDA

View Full Version : outdoor fireplaces

bigviclbi
07-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I'd love some pics of outdoor fireplaces. Not pits, but real fireplaces. I am looking to install one of those prefab kits probably by firerock and I'd like to see what people have done with them. They look easy enough, I saw them at MAHTS and am itching to do one. Thanks!

cedarcroft
07-25-2007, 06:57 PM
We juist did one made by Fire Stone. we used cultured stone on 3 sides and stucco'd the back with dark mortar. we also used rockfaced bluestone on the mantle and hearth. came out nice but I feel like the surround is cheap. I will get some pics tomorrow and post here.
the fire rock is nice from the pics I have seen. we have a kit sitting in the yard, just haven't built it yet.
this is the one we just built, we bought it unfinished and did what I said above to it.
http://www.firestonehp.com/surrounds.html

Captains Landscape
07-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Are most people using pre-fab units for this application, I'm assuming that's what I see in all the paver magazines?

bigviclbi
07-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Say you want to add to the width of the prefab box. What's better/stronger/costeffective? Framing it out with wood, plywood lathe or mason block? I think I've seen it done both ways before?

cedarcroft
07-26-2007, 07:10 AM
the one we got is metal stud frame with wonder board over it. I guess you could expand it with the same stuff.