PDA

View Full Version : chain sizes / grades

mas
07-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi,

What would you use to strap down a skidsteer at the weight of 7800 pounds? Im using grade80 1/2" right now and people make fun of me for overkill on it. i used an online load calculator and it said gr70 1/2" so i figured why notuse the gr80 for not much more and you can also lift with it.

i see most guys are just using 3/8th gr70 but its only rated at 6600pounds
is it alright to use that if you use multiple chains so it counts as 6600x2 ?

or should i be using two 1/2 chains?

thanks

dozerman21
07-24-2007, 10:17 PM
There's nothing wrong with having overkill on chains, but you need to have at least one going across the front, and one across the back. So you're basically doubling the strength of one chain. Check your DOT laws. Here, if you're over 10,000lbs. you need a separate chain and binder on each corner of the machine. I think if you're under 10K, you only need two, but I'm not positive.

I use 4 grade 70 3/8" on each machine. They're also called "Truckers Chains". They're plenty strong enough, but I also use heavy duty spring-loaded binders to secure them.

Fieldman12
07-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Like Dozerman21 said it wont hurt a thing having more chain strentgth than ya need. Only thing that I have experieced is due to smaller links it is a little easier to deal with the chain and get the chain tighter. Im not saying you cant get a bigger chain tight because you can but it is easier because you have smaller and closer links to get that extra bite with a binder. Using a rathet binder though like what I use it will get it tight just fine. You just need a chain at the front and one at the back. Anything over 10,000 lbs. and you will need a chain on all four courners.

RockSet N' Grade
07-24-2007, 10:48 PM
I use 5 chains on my excavator. One to secure the buckets and stick. One to secure the blade. One across the front to secure the front of the machine. One across the rear to secure the rear of the machine. One ( number 5 ) chain hooked into the rear of the machine to keep it from moving forward. All my chains are grade 8. An interesting note: Not all binders are created equal and if DOT wants to be picky, your binder ratings must be rated also for the load you are carrying or the use of the proper chain is for naught. I just recently upgraded binders and chains and the price tag for that little adventure was around $1,000. Oh yea, besides binders and chains having a rating, the hooks on your chains must also have the proper rating. DOT around here is having a field day with this, and I am sure they must go through several ink cartridges and ticket books a day.......cracking down ( it seems ) on landscapers with trailers without the proper truck registration and DOT numbers on their trucks and truck/trailer combos pulling skid steers.

RockSet N' Grade
07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Here's a helpful site to answer all the questions that will undoubtly arise..........www.1st-chainsupply.com. They have links at the bottom of the page that tells you what the real deal is here in the USA.

Gravel Rat
07-24-2007, 11:53 PM
I would cross chain the back cross chain the front and your done oh ya use 3/8s chain. You have a choice of ratchet binders or lever binders myself for what your hauling lever binders are quicker.

The only thing the RCMP know to look for is bailing wire or some kind of restraint holding the lever on the binder from moving. Using 3/8s chain is cheaper and its lighter to work with. Your only dealing with 3 3/4 tons.