PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love the Know-It-All Project Managers!

DVS Hardscaper
07-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I meet with a guy today that is custom building a new home. So he and I are talking about the retaining wall that he will need and all is going well. We're both on the same page, and everything is clicking between the two of us.

Then comes along his project manager!

The ground that is to be retained is 7' high.

But Mr project Manager says - we might make the wall 4' so we dont have to get it engineered and so that we won't need a permit. So I respond "ok, but we'll have to do some excavating to the hill to direct the water around the wall". The project manager responds "ya, we've done a few walls at our other houses", in a tone as saying to me: don't tell me this, I already know this.

So then he asks which engineering company we use. And I tell him. And he says "break the engineering out seperately, I know an engineer and might have him do it".

Ok. Fine. They why the hell didn't you call the engineer from the freakin git-go and have some specs done - this way all his bidders are bidding on the SAME THING!? He was more or less saying it in a tone as he was solely throwing his weight around. I don't care who the engineer is. I don't make a dime of the engineering.

It's a gravy job, and I would not mind having it.

I can work with the homeowner.

But I'm not so sure that Mr. Overweight Project Manager and I will get along.

Now I have to find a polite, professional way to convey this to the homeowner when I call him tomorrow to tell him the price.

tthomass
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
All you had to do was ask him how you should build your wall! Oh yeah, don't worry about that geo grid stuff either........good luck.

cedarcroft
07-25-2007, 05:53 PM
HEY!!!! wait a minute, I am an overweight project manager!!! I take offense to this post!!
:waving: