PDA

View Full Version : weirod truck problem

GroundEffects125
07-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Today, i noticed when ever i started my 7.3L f 350 that my starter was making a really weired noise. I had no idea what it was so i just kept ignoring it and threw out the day it got worst. An at my last account of the day the starter would just spin but wouldn't turn the motor over. I knew that it had to be that the gear had to have worn out or just wasn't grabbing. So i got under the truck and noticed that the 3 bolts that were holding it on were completely un screwed. So i tighted them up and it was fine. Do you think that they came undone because of the vibration? or anything else? Thanks

Jason Rose
07-25-2007, 12:12 AM
I had the same exact thing happen on my old F-250 with the 460. I thought the starter was toasted so I slid under to check it out for sure and found one bolt GONE and the other was one turn from out. Tightned up the remaining one and replaced the other and it was good to go. No idea WHY they decided to walk out like that... At least I'm not alone with that problem, lol!

fixer67
07-25-2007, 12:24 AM
I was on the interstate about two years back behind this F-250 and all of a sudden there was a flash of sparks from under the truck and "something" came flying out from under it. There was a hard jerk as the tire was hit. He pulled to the side and I pulled off and I did as well. I checked the tire which had a mark on it but was OK. We both went looking back down the road and guess what we found.The starter had fallen out while doing 70 MPH down the road. Ford starter bolt work loose, it is a fact of life.

SLR
07-25-2007, 04:01 AM
C-R-A-P i'm sure glad i wasn't behind you in my car,fixer67!

Restrorob
07-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Take each of the starter bolts out one at a time, Clean the threads on the bolt and in the block with carb & choke cleaner then apply Loctite and re-torque.

Your lucky none got snapped off in the block from the torque, I have seen this many times.

fixer67
07-28-2007, 12:33 AM
C-R-A-P i'm sure glad i wasn't behind you in my car,fixer67!

The starter did not come off my car. I was driving a "77 Honda at the time. I was changing lanes at the time and it hit the right tire. If you had been behind me you would have got hit dead center most likely. I was lucky to say the least.