PDA

View Full Version : Kohler ch23s questions

fitzg2md
07-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Ok, so I have a kolher ch23s that has a fairly heavy oil leak. Hard to tell where exactly it was coming from since it was literaly blowing all over. Both cylinders. Figured it was the cylinder head gaskets, so I replaced them. Well, either I didnt do it correctly, or that wasnt the problem, cuz oil is still leaking. I just pulled the engine and took it almost completely apart to try and see if I could find the leak. There is so much caked on crap on the fins and engine that I cant tell where the oil is coming from!!

Ok, questions...I dont really want to do a complete rebuild if I dont have to. However, I sitting here staring at the flywheel oil seal and I think it would be dumb not to replace it. It may be where the oil leak is afterall. How do I go about replacing this? Is it possible to replace without removing the crankshaft and whatnot? Can I just pop it out somehow and instal a new one?

Second, when I change the head gaskets (again!) what is a good solvent to use to remove the old gasket coloration and stuff? Also, is there an easy way to tell if either the head or the block isnt flat enough? I have a sneaking worry that it may have overheated (the fins where all clogged) and something warped. If it is warped, is there any hope for it, or is it new engine time?

Lastly, once I have the engine together again, is it safe to start it up without being reinstalled in the mower? Or does it need to be hooked up to the belts and all to give it some kind of a load?

Thanks for the help everyone! -Mike

khouse
07-26-2007, 01:55 AM
You don't have to remove the crank to change the seal. Also grab the flywheel and move it back and forth to see if the upper case is worn. You can bench run the engine.

fitzg2md
07-26-2007, 11:35 AM
great thanks....can i just carefully pry the seal out? Then use a seal driver to press the new one back in?

Restrorob
07-26-2007, 01:02 PM
When prying the old seal out be careful not to damage the crank, That could cause a leak even with a new seal.

You will need something deep to fit over the end of the crankshaft and the diameter of the outside of the seal.

I use a short piece of PVC pipe with a cap on one end.

Also, You can use a small brass cup brush in a drill to LIGHTLY clean the gasket surface areas, And I use a metal measuring stick to check heads and block for flatness with feeler gages.

fitzg2md
07-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Great...thanks so much for the help -Mike

JHugh
07-27-2007, 12:22 AM
You might also check your breather gasket. Kohler had an issue with their gaskets a couple of years ago. I've had a few CH23S engines with severe oil leaks in the last two years. They have all been breather gaskets. You can order part # 24 033 01-S. This is a new breather cover and gasket. Good luck!

LazerZHP
07-27-2007, 11:20 PM
My mystery kohler oil leak was the o-ring between cases where the oil flows through.Had to pull engine and split cases all over a 10cent part.This was on a brand new 25 hp kohler :angry: 85607