PDA

View Full Version : FB460V too much exhaust

mrgsemail
07-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I have a Toro 32 walk behind with a KAW FB460V engine. We just replaced the engine and the new engine is running rich and not running well. It lets out very rich exhaust that you cant stand when running the mower. What do I need to adjust? Its burning oil as well. Thanks

hotrodsnapper
07-26-2007, 04:57 PM
First, if this is a new engine, get in touch with your dealer. If it's burning oil you may have gotten a lemon.

When you say the exhaust is rich, do you mean that you can smell raw gasoline in the exhaust? Is it also blowing black smoke?

If that is the case, you should be able to adjust the mixture. There are typically two screws on the carb, one for idle and the other for high speed. Somebody familiar with Kawi's will probably post up and tell you exactly where to look. Just start the engine and bring it to full throttle, then turn the high speed screw in slowly until the engine starts to run more smoothly. If this doesn't do it, the float in the carb could be stuck, or the carb could use a good cleaning.

As far as burning oil, how much is it consuming? Do you see any blue-white smoke coming from the exhaust? This will be easier to see after you get the carburator issue straightened out. Best case scenario you are blowing a lot of white smoke, then it's likely a head gasket. Worst case, especially in a used engine, is that the rings or valve guides are shot and you have yourself a worn out engine.

If it can be fixed, some of the folks on here will be able to diagnose and walk you through the repair.

khouse
07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Other than the carb adjusting screws Hotrodsnapper said it all. Hotrodsnapper - do you have a Hot Rod Snapper? I've been looking at some lawn mower racing and I thought - just maybe........................................

mrgsemail
07-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. Its not a gas smell, but strong smell. I will adjust the idle and see if that helps. Its puts out black smoke when you first start it, no white smoke. Enough exhaust is being released when running it, it burns eyes and make you light headed. You don't see exhaust, but you smell the exhaust.

When we replace the engine, the muffler had a rattle when you shook it. Could it be that?

Thanks

khouse
07-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Like Hotrod asked - was it a brand new engine. If not what carb was installed on the replacement engine?

mrgsemail
07-26-2007, 07:01 PM
New engine, carb came with it. All we moved from old engine to new engine was muffler.

khouse
07-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Have you made sure your choke is 100% open?

mrgsemail
07-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Not sure, Will do. When I choke it, it runs rough, but it could be the linkage. I will check that. Thanks

Restrorob
07-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Bet ya a dollar the baffle you heard loose in the muffler is causing a restriction in exhaust out-put. This WILL cause exactly what you explained.

mrgsemail
07-26-2007, 07:58 PM
That would be great. I will order one. Thanks for all your help!

hotrodsnapper
07-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Other than the carb adjusting screws Hotrodsnapper said it all. Hotrodsnapper - do you have a Hot Rod Snapper? I've been looking at some lawn mower racing and I thought - just maybe........................................

Yes, it's kind of a hot rod. When I first joined lawnsite I was in the process of replacing the 12 horse briggs that came on my 30" snapper RER with a 15.5 horse motor. This thing would cut down a tree and not break a sweat. No racing though, the brake on this thing sucks so bad I fear for my life in top gear, not to mention I still need to cut my grass with it. Maybe when I'm rich and famous I'll upgrade in mower an see what these things will do. I've never seen the inside of the little chain box thing, but it couldn't be too hard to swap a couple of sprockets and get some top speed. Someday...:drinkup:

Anyway, sorry to jack the thread. Let us know how it turns out, and how the dealer treats you.

Restrorob
07-27-2007, 10:04 PM
but it couldn't be too hard to swap a couple of sprockets and get some top speed.

hotrod, The large sprocket is welded onto the shaft and the small sprocket is machined as part of the shaft.

The large sprocket in the RH fender gear box is replaceable but has a cog type spline in the center and the small sprocket is hex shaped in the center to slide onto the hex shaft then welded.

You need a buddy in a machine shop to help with a project such as this.

Post some pics of this thing pullin wheel stands when you get it done.....;)