PDA

View Full Version : Tree turned out GREAT-see pics

NightLightingFX
07-26-2007, 08:54 PM
This tree was a lot of work but it has been a great advertising tool. In June when I began this tree I needed to get to some high places so I bought a tree climbing kit an began to teach myself how to climb trees. In the process I got stuck in the tree and the local FDP brought a big ladder and got me down. However, the local newspaper came around and took a picture of me stuck in the tree and put it in the news paper. I didn't get any calls off that just a bunch of razzing from everyone I know. When I finished the tree I called up the newspaper, showed them my pics and told them I would be a fun follow-up story. This morning I was the featured story in the business section with a front page picture. I will tell you what, a story like that in the newspaper is powerful, instant marketing. My phone has been ringing off the hook all day. Here are my pics
~Ned
Night Lighting FX

NightLightingFX
07-26-2007, 08:58 PM
How the heck do I attach photos?:confused: :confused: :confused:

carcrz
07-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Go to advanced post & use the attach function. I think I use 800 x 800 usually; I could be completely wrong though.

NightLightingFX
07-26-2007, 09:06 PM
My pic file is 1920x2560 I guess it needs to be 800x800. This is getting way over my pea brained head.:dizzy:

NightLightingFX
07-26-2007, 09:19 PM
I copied a pic to publisher and downloaded it I have no idea what will come out?:hammerhead:

Mr Priceless
07-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Download Irfanview (google it and it should be one of the top links displayed)

you need to fit ALL files to a MAXIMUM display size of 800x600....not 800x800

carcrz
07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
I just open them in paintshop & resize them there w/ a different name.

mattfromNY
07-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Man, now you got us all drooling to see this cool project, and it aint on here yet. The suspense is killing me.
Irfanvue all the way, its way easy.

NightLightingFX
07-26-2007, 11:54 PM
I may have figured it out, :cool2:

NightLightingFX
07-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Looks like I got one pic up

NightLightingFX
07-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Here is my other pic:weightlifter:

carcrz
07-27-2007, 07:01 AM
looks good!

Chris J
07-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Cool tree Ned. How many lights did you end up putting on/in it? Looks great!

Turf Troll
07-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi Ned,

What type of camera did you use to take the photo?

How high did you go in the tree to place a fixture?

NightLightingFX
07-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I used 13 fixtures for this project, however there are 3 fixtures that you can't notice in the pic - downlighting for the patio, one shining on the canopy, and one in the tree shinning up in the canopy. I was a little disappointed in the effect I got in lighting up the canopy. The canopy is so thick that it really doesn't show up well. When the leaves fall off this tree will be increadible. In the fall I will show some more pics.

The camera I have is pretty simple I use an Olympus Stylus 500. Some of my pics with this camera have turned out pretty good. I know nothing about photography all I do is use a tripod, put my camera in "Night Scene" and put my camera on the lowest "-" negative brightness??????? I don't know what that feature is called I just put it on the lowest "neg" possible. I have tried to figure out how to create an even slower shutter spead but I can't figure that out. I have a real problem getting good pictures of architecture some times. The picture will turn out much brighter than the live scene. This is where knowledge and equipment of photography may be usefull.

I really didn't go that high in the tree probably 25 ft. just out of reach of my ladder. I will tell you what though, climbing trees with tree climbing equipment is pretty cool. I am going to get more skilled at it. This tree climbing thing is a big hobbie for some people. If you know what you are doing you can go anywhere in a tree. Before my next big tree, or when I get the time and money I will be taking a tree climbing class. Check out this web site on tree climbing www.treeclimbingnorthwest.com
~Ned

ChampionLS
07-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Ned,
Your job and photos are great. You've already won half the battle by using a tripod. When you use the "night scene" , this is a pre-set mode which will give you a overall decent shot. In order to vary the shot more, use "S" mode or shutter priority mode. Here you will be able to adjust the time that the shutter is left open. The times are measured in seconds, with options of 8, 4, 2, 1, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, and 1/1000th of a second. First, You should make sure your flash is turned off (flash icon with a slash through it) and next, start out with the Two Second exposure. I would strongly suggest you use the self timer and let your camera snap the pic. Sometimes you may need to use manual focus (turn auto focus off) because in darkness, the camera has no idea what to focus on. If the pictures come out too bright, switch to a faster setting. The + and - your referring to are exposure values. A negative number or setting will darken everything, but your also losing detail. I would leave it at neutral and just naturally wait till it gets darker, or use a faster shutter setting. Usually, you have a window of 20 minutes to take good night shots. Don't wait until the sky is completely dark. My best guess is 80% of dusk makes the best shots.

-Anthony

P.Services
07-27-2007, 01:13 PM
looks nice but that would be a fun tree to cut down and turn to chips!!:laugh: :laugh:

mattfromNY
07-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Wow, the tree looks great. It must look even better in person!
I gotta say, though, you really let me down. Telling the story about the fire dept. having to rescue you and all, I was picturing this giant redwood tree or something. I hang my tree stands for deer hunting higher than that tree. I could climb that thing with a tree stand in one hand and my bow in the other. Its amazing how high I'll go in a tree during bow season, but if I have to get on a roof, forget about it! I'm scared $hitle$$ of heights!!

NightLightingFX
07-27-2007, 03:57 PM
I was scared $hitle$ initially w/out any harness and line. And then even w/ a harness and line I was initially still scared. Its all foreign to me I didn't know what would happen. After I figured out how to establish some rigging and I got comfortable, and I had an idea where I would swing too and etc. It became fun. Its funny, before I started doing artistic outdoor lighting, I was really scared of hights. I was afraid to climb to the top of my ladder. Now I just scamper up not even thinging about it. :weightlifter:

NightLightingFX
07-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Anthony,
Thanks for the input on the camera. That should help me out a lot. If I am able to max out the capabilities of my camera. How does that compare to using raw format as far as eye pleasing pics. Even with my limited experience I have been able to get some good pictures without raw format technolgy. How important is it to use raw format?
~Ned

sprinkler guy
07-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Ned,
That is one bitchin looking tree. Good job.

Anthony,
Thanks for the camera pointers. I've been lax in keeping my portfolio up to date, because I've been paying a guy to take my pictures. This will help me a lot.

mdvaden
07-28-2007, 06:09 PM
The results gained by the few watts of power are a great return for the money.

Good job.

STRINGALATION
07-29-2007, 12:50 AM
tree looks good but i was hoping to also see the other photo with the fdp

ChampionLS
07-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Anthony,
Thanks for the input on the camera. That should help me out a lot. If I am able to max out the capabilities of my camera. How does that compare to using raw format as far as eye pleasing pics. Even with my limited experience I have been able to get some good pictures without raw format technology. How important is it to use raw format?
~Ned

I'm not 100 % on this.. but I believe RAW format saves the file with no compression (very large files!) and it's used for pixel by pixel editing (for print or photo work). To share photos, and even doing editing by yourself, the Jpeg mode is fine. For print work, I use the max setting (mine does 8 Megapixels) and If I'm emailing or sharing the photos, I use 1 Megapixel or less (VGA) for faster upload/download times. You could shoot everything in high res, and make smaller photos from them, but that takes time.

I use a Sony Cybershot DSCF-828 on a tripod. I always use the self timer, or wired remote control to snap the pics.