PDA

View Full Version : JD Skidsteer

rcreech
07-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Anyone use a JD Skidsteer?

I am looking for a good steer to run a Harley Rake.

Going to a sale next week that has several JD 250 and 260's.

Are these good machines? Power for the money?

Any help greatly appreciated.

JB1
07-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Just traded in a 250 John Deere was a very good machine strong and no problems either one would be good.

cat2
07-26-2007, 10:06 PM
If you have the money I would really look at the 300 series. You wouldn't give me a 200 series. I heard JD made over 100 improvements to them. JD really have good power.:weightlifter:

cat2
07-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Just traded in a 250 John Deere was a very good machine strong and no problems either one would be good.

How many hours?

JB1
07-26-2007, 10:14 PM
800 hours..

cat2
07-26-2007, 10:15 PM
800 hours..

thats not too many. I have a 317 with 1,000 hours

JB1
07-26-2007, 10:19 PM
It was a great machine, I wanted to be able to pick up more weight and I guess I;m getting wimpy cause I wanted air conditioning. Its a 325.

mow king
07-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Anyone use a JD Skidsteer?

I am looking for a good steer to run a Harley Rake.

Going to a sale next week that has several JD 250 and 260's.

Are these good machines? Power for the money?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Which sale is this if you dont mind me asking?

Fieldman12
07-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I have a 2004 John Deere Series II with over 2,000 hours that Im very happy with. The Series II was only out for a couple years. It was basically a 200 Series with a ton of updates. Mine has been very reliable. The 300 series has some more updates. I would not be affraid of a early 200 series especially now because they came out in 99 so hopefully all the bugs have been worked out. Which 200 Series machine are you looking at? The early one's kind of gave Deere a bad name for a while because of issues but like I said by now what ever was going to go wrong has and has been fixed. Only complaint I have with them and now I dont think much about is boom sway. The Vertical design that all Deeres have including the 300 Series is a little more than other brands. It does not cause a problem and they come this way new from factory but it is something to be aware of. I would definitly buy another one.

rcreech
07-28-2007, 02:10 PM
It is a sale held in Indy every two months. This sale starts at 9 am and will go until about 1 or 2 in the morning. They sell mostly farm equipement, but also have a lot of industrial equipment also.

Out of this sale there is 1 -260, 4-250 and 1-240 and there is a 317. There are also some GEHL, Bobcats and Case's. Any info on these?

Most of these machines have under 1000 hours, but I think one of them have about 2000 hours.

If I could get the 317 would it be better? What would be a good price range if in good condition?

Would the 240 or 250 be ok with a Harley Rake?

Thanks for all your help!

rcreech
07-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Sorry...me again, forgot to ask....

Do any of you run Harley Rakes? If so, please PM me or let me know as I have some questions before I get in too deep.

Thanks

qps
07-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I run a woods rake...same as harley..both made by glenmac...

rcreech
07-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Do you run a rake?

I have never ran one, but want to get into new seedings.

Will a JD250 push a 72" rake?

qps
07-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Do you run a rake?

how many horse is it...my 257B Cat operates it fine as did my 242B Cat....both where 57 HP machines.......

JDSKIDSTEER
07-28-2007, 03:37 PM
It is 60 hp. I have sold many with 84" rake. Will easily handle 72"

dozerman21
07-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Do you run a rake?

I have a CT332 and a 96" Worksite Pro (Harley) Power Rake. I've been very happy with both.

A 240 or 250 will both run a 72" rake. If you go with a Deere 200 Series, I'd get one that is a Series II. The 300 Series would be even better. Case would also be a good choice. We have an older 1845C, but it's been pretty much flawless.

Is the sale at Reynold's Farm Equipment?

Fieldman12
07-28-2007, 07:07 PM
The 250 comes with a 72" bucket so should be fine with a 72" rake. Only difference between a 240 and 250 is bigger tires, bigger bucket, and a Turbo on the 250. I think my Series II 250 says in the book 64hp. if memory serves me correctly. Im thinking the 240 is like 56hp.

Fieldman12
07-28-2007, 07:08 PM
You need to realize also the 240 and 250 are both small framed machines. The 260, 270, and 280 are large framed machines. Same with 300 series. The 317 and 320 are small framed. The 325, 328, and 332 are large framed.

Scag48
07-28-2007, 07:12 PM
A Deere 250 will run a 72" Harley easy. Our Cat 216 with 48 horses runs a 72" all day no problem.

rcreech
07-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Dozerman,

I go just down the road from you to Monrovia. Ted Everetts.

Go there about every sale, although I have missed a couple this year.

Have bought every piece of my farm equipment out there. Love that place.

Lets just say that all these machines are the old 200's and not series II, would you be afraid of them? Most of these machines are lower hours, so I am thinking they are newer machines.

I am not sure if these are Series II or not.

Will JD, Case and Bobcat all hook to a Harley rake (universal) or does it take a special attachment!

rcreech
07-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Scag48,

What do you use your Harley Rake for mostly?

I am looking at getting into new housing and renovating lawns as I already do a lot of seeding but have never been able to prep.

Am I heading in the right direction getting a Harley Rake?

VERY NERVOUS!

qps
07-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Scag48,

What do you use your Harley Rake for mostly?

I am looking at getting into new housing and renovating lawns as I already do a lot of seeding but have never been able to prep.

Am I heading in the right direction getting a Harley Rake?

VERY NERVOUS!

These rakes work great, after having one I don't know how I got along without it....new lawns...perfect...renovating...maybe if you peel the sod off with the skidsteer bucket first...then add topsoil and blend it....good to go...I think all couplers universal for the most part...should fit with no problems...

rcreech
07-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Great...Thanks QPS!

Scag48
07-29-2007, 03:12 AM
Yeah, they're definately the tool for seed prep. A rock hound will work well as well, but if you're not picking up rocks there's really no need for it. We actually sold our Harley, just didn't use it enough. When we started out, we were doing a lot of larger lots where sodding would be far too expensive. We've come to the point in business where we're getting much higher end jobs with smaller lots and nobody wants to seed, therefore the Harley sat all year last year. Great tool, just not for us anymore. We made plenty with it though, we don't feel too bad letting it go.

rcreech
07-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Scag48 or anyone else,

I know this is a hard question to answer...and is more or a business decision I need to make but...

I have seeded for about two years, but never used a Harley Rake to prep with. I am not planning on using it everyday (although I would love to). You say yours sat around..but can one justify owning one if you only have 10-15 jobs/year starting out? I am a firm believer that if you have the equipment and do a good job you will get work. If you don't have the equipment how can you do the work. I know some hate this philosophy, but this is how I have built my buisness and it has seemed to work great thus far.

I looked into renting a skid and Harley, but it was going to cost me over $400/day. That would be my payments/year without interest, and plus I would then have a skid to do a lot of other work (as we farm also).

Am I making sense here? Please anyone, give me your honest and brutal opinion!

ksss
07-29-2007, 12:57 PM
I agree with your reasoning.

You will have a difficult time making money renting at $400 a day. If you can already justify the skid steer than the Harley is easy especially if you could find one used. A Rock Hound, Harley rake, FFC Preparator can be found for 50% of new rather easy. The Rock Hound can get expensive if it is trashed. But getting a used one would allow you to get into the market and establish a clientel. Once you feel comfortable than get a new one. You can make decent money with these attachments. I would never sell mine even though I don't do as much of it as I used to. It does not make as much as other things we do but it is a dependable source of income. Some attachments that you may find of value in conjunction with a rock rake is a Scarifier. Works great in loosening the soil deeper than what a rock rake will, allows for a better seed bed, makes life easier on the rock rake, allows the rock rake to do a better job leveling, similiar to rototilling only you don't get the settling that you get with rototilling some types of soil. Although I don't have one some guys around here like the Eliminator type rakes prior to rock raking. Used to level the ground first, knock down weeds etc.

dozerman21
07-29-2007, 12:58 PM
If you're looking for a lower hour, well-maintained used skid, I think you have the right idea. I definetly wouldn't buy a new skid without having everyday work, but I know you want a used skid. You might be able to find a used rake too. I think a new rake that size will set you back somewhere around $7,000? I bought my rake this year for side jobs only. I only do finish work once in a while, so I'll only use mine a handful of times each year. It's there when I need it though, and it's around $150 per day to rent one, and then you have to hope they have one available and pick it up and return it. Too much hassle for me. I look at renting as a waste of money in most cases, at least for the attachments that I need. If it's a once or twice a year or less type of attachment that is expensive, then yea, I'd rent. I just rented a hydraulic breaker a couple of weeks ago. Machines are a whole different story, you have to rent those if you're only making money with it once in a great while.

Good Luck!

Fieldman12
07-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I think your on the righ t track on what your looking for. As far as attachments sound like your heading the right direction. Get familiar with each type of attachment and figure out which will benefit your operation the most. I can tell in my situation the grapple bucket and a set of pallet forks is looking handy already. Pallet forks are not that pricey but the grapple bucket can be. I think I'm going to look at several different ones and maybe try a few out if I decide to buy.

rcreech
07-29-2007, 04:16 PM
What I think I would love to have some day is a 4 in 1 bucket.

My uncle has one on his backhoe and it is slick...especially when grading and pushing snow on the road!

RockSet N' Grade
07-29-2007, 05:27 PM
RC.......I have a FFC Preparator and last year it sat the whole year. I biatched and moaned and even threatened to sell it........and tried, but not very hard. I just couldn't see an implement sitting in my barn that cost me $8,000 not producing. Well, then this year rolled around and that particular implement got me two jobs: one for about $12,000 and the other for about $8,000. Would have never gotten the jobs if that rascal hadn't been in my possession. I am not using it now, its back in the barn collecting dust.....but I am thankful that I have it and have no plans to get rid of it.

ksss
07-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Rockset tells the truth. I tried to buy it from him early this Spring as I could have used two of them this year. Push came to shove and he really did not want to sell it. He would rather complain about it not making him any money.:rolleyes:

rcreech
07-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Rocksetngrade,

Thanks for the info.

That is kinda how I see mine being used. Some but not always.

rcreech
07-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Got to thinking about the jobs you mentioned...how does one set the rates?

Is there a common prices/k or is it just job specific?

What would one charge for say a new home lot about 10k, if you don't mind me asking? Just ballpark.

chevydump03
07-29-2007, 10:52 PM
If you are having a hard time justifing a skid & rake at this time,think about subbing the work out. I have done several lawns for a few Landscapers that either haven't had the man-power/time to complete a job, or don't want to invest in the equipment at this time.

It's still nice to have the equipment, as it makes it easier for you to schedule jobs, and set pricing.

Gary

ksss
07-29-2007, 11:25 PM
For me to price that I would need to know the existing condition, whether I needed topsoil, access to the yard, amount of rock, do I need to haul the rock off, is there sprinklers already in the ground etc.