PDA

View Full Version : Ford F800

mikes landscaping
07-27-2007, 01:53 PM
what do you guys think of purchasxing a 1980 ford f8000 with a gas engine and hydralic brakes. not sure of the milage but the cab and dump both are pretty rust free. along with the truck he is selling a 10 ton trailer, for like a skid steer or backhoe. he only wants 1500 for the whole setup. it runs drives and dumps fine. do you guys think its a good purchase? sorry i dont have pics or more info right now. Thanks,
-Pete-

P.Services
07-27-2007, 02:05 PM
if you can put it to work and make money buy it! dont worry about the gas engine, you will pay at the pump and be a little slower pulling but it will get the job done. send that truck to maaco for a 400 dollar paint job and it will look sharp new paint makes everything look good

BMFD92
07-27-2007, 03:40 PM
sounds like a good deal. The company i work for has about 3 or 4 of the F-800s, very durable and reliable truck. They have the diesel engines in them but for the price you are getting I think the diesel would be worth it imo.

lawnmaniac883
07-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Pretty good deal if you have a place to store all that stuff

xcopterdoc
07-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I'd have it really looked at by a third party. have a complete insp done, frame, front end parts, drive train, brakes ect. A lot of hacking and wacking can be done in 27 yrs! If yur not real handy with a wrench, I'd pass and go with something newer, unless you are ready for down time and bucks to really go thru this truck.

SiteSolutions
07-28-2007, 12:42 AM
I have a same-era GMC and it is definitely "For occasional use only."

1. It will cost you $100 a day in gasoline. ($200 if you haul more than a couple loads.)
2. It will cost you twice the purchase price to get it DOT legal. (The tag on mine is $600.)
3. It will be very handy for when you really need that size truck. A lot cheaper than hiring one at $50 - $70 an hour even with the high gas price.

Mine's in the shop right now. It was a great part-time truck last year when I was growing. Now that I am full time, I am gonna spend a couple grand and get it safe and legal, and have it when I need the occasional pile of mulch, small load of dirt or gravel, or have to clean up trash from a job site.

I would not make this thing a daily driver. If you have that much of a need for a truck this size, buy a much newer one. Still, at that price, I would get it and have it when I needed it. They're handy.

Gravel Rat
07-28-2007, 01:31 AM
The truck is too old it would be a good site truck and thats about it. I wouldn't buy a old 1980 F-800. The truck is selling for 1500 dollars for a reason its a POS. You will be lucky if the truck gets 3-4 mpg the truck will have a old Industrial Ford gas engine they are not that great. It could have 330-361-391 it may have a 429. The truck probably has 5+2 gearing the 2spd rear axle is probably worn out and needs rebuilding. The truck has juice brakes so just hope it doesn't have the Lucas Girling brakes if it does run away. To repair the Lucas Girling brakes costs more than the truck is worth.

If the truck still is running 10:00-20 rubber you will have troubles with that you hope its been upgraded to tubeless 11R22.5 wheels and tires.

Back to the fuel economy :laugh:

Start it up 5 gallons start down the road with a load you can hear the gas tank turning inside out. The truck loaded will easily suck back 100 dollars of fuel in couple hours.

Good Luck

FearThisDeere
07-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Sorry, but that price is just way too low IMO. You get what you pay for and this sounds to be nothing but a money pit. If the trailer was in good shape I'f buy that, but not the truck.