PDA

View Full Version : anybody going to the vista fly in?

YardPro
07-27-2007, 07:52 PM
we just got invited to the vista fly in in simi valley at the end of september.
This will be the first one we have been to. anyone from here going?

Chris J
07-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Not me, but I've been there before. They put on a pretty good show. If they offer golf, and you like to play golf, don't pass on the opportunity! We went to Lost Canyons and it was excellent! The course was spectacular, and I had a great time. I feel bad that I don't use their product too much, but that's the nature of the beast.
Speaking of Vista, I have a client as we speak who wants a Vista system. I need to use a 600w Vista transformer, and my catalog is from 2005. What is the lowest cost unit Vista offers in a multi-tap (12-15v)? Is it the MT600, or is there something cheeper? I don't want a built in timer/photocell.

sprinkler guy
07-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Chris,

Vista's MT-600 is their multi-tap. They recently started making their own transformer in-house. Prior to this they've had Justin building the trannys to their spec. Good units, and still pretty cost competitive. Their CT series is a single tap, with a high/low switch. Okay for a small limited application, but otherwise I stick with multi-taps. FX is my transformer of choice. The only one I've had fail in two years, the FX rep came to the job and changed it out for me.
Also the MT is open architecture, so you can use a plug in timer, add a photocell if you want, even plug in X10 or Insteon modules.
Hope this helps.

Chris J
07-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks Sprinkler Guy. Yes, I did want the multi tap, but I did not want to use the vista system. The prospect was very difficult, and asked me to use the vista products after I had already given him my proposal based on a Kichler system. I told him that my cost for Vista products was higher than Kichler because of my relationship with my distributor and that I would have to charge him an additional $200 for the installation. He had already tried to beat me up about price, and had received several other bids (mine was the highest, but he decided to go with me anyway). When I told him about this increase in cost, however, he tried to beat me down again and get me to install the Vista system for the original agreement.
You know what? I am sick and tired of "tire kickers"! This job was originally supposed to be 20 lights, but after the homeowner hacked away at my design trying to get the cost down it ended up being a 10 light job for $2,350. I told him that I have invested too much time and money in my education and experience in landscape lighting design and installation techniques. I also assured him that if he wanted the best customer service available in the Jacksonville market, then I was the man for him. But then I told him that I was absolutely firm on my price and I would not allow him to undermine the integrity of my company any longer with this nonsense of negotiation on "price" for a 10 light job. His response was to meet him half way ($100 bucks) and I said "go straight to hell Fu*K#R!
Having a bad week, Can you tell?

YardPro
07-29-2007, 07:35 PM
thanks chris,
yes i play golf, and am booked for the outing...

we use vista and hadco fixtures. i like the vista controller better than the hadco.
we are on a barrier island, so we only use stainless transformers....

we have just started using cast fixtures. They are pretty sweet.

NightScenes
07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I have other plans for that time of September.