PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting 15 Foot Pines?

professorkev
07-28-2007, 11:09 AM
A landscaper (local and well established 20+years in the business) reccomended transplanting some of the pines in the back of my property to other parts because they will die from growing into eachother.

Question: I am ointerested in transplanting them to the side next to a crab tree and uproot some huge weed like plant and a overgrown shrub.

Is transplantation typically successful? do Pine have a tendancy to become uprooted because they are newly tranplanted?

Rtom45
07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Transplanting a 15' pine (or spruce which is what I see in your pictures), is not a job to undertake yourself. A competent landscape/nursery an easily and successfully move trees that size. A good contractor should be willing to guarantee the move as long as you follow their instructions on care once the tree has been moved.

professorkev
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
God no I wouldn't take it on myself. The landscaper has the spade for it and immediately reccomended it because the trees are growing into eachother. He said survivability is not a problem; I should have asked more on what he meant. ALthough I trust the guy, I wanted to get more oppinions. In my area he must be in the top 10 of landscapers, volume alone makes him top 5.

Bill S
07-31-2007, 06:23 PM
I would wait on the transplant until the fall if you have yet to start the process. The cooler temperatures will make it much less stressful. The most ideal time is early spring just as the plant is coming out of dormancy.