PDA

View Full Version : Takeuchi

construrent
07-28-2007, 04:37 PM
I have been looking through the forum history pages, I am looking for some feedback on the Takeuchi TB153FR.
What are the strong points and weak points of the unit?

I am presently using Yanmar VIO's and very happy with them but always like to explore other options,

any feedback would be appreciated

ksss
07-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I have had a TB53FR and recently traded it for a TB153FR

The differences between the two are minimal.

You can read on the TK web site and they will tell you the updates between the two.

The pros.
Excellent digging ability. Great breakout at the bucket. The side to side boom feature is the best feature on the machine. Articulates faster than a swing boom. Doesn't pull the machine in hard digging conditions like a swing boom machine. Articulating the boom all the way to the right and hitting the override switch allows you to bring the boom up next to the cab, allowing you to load large trucks with ease or demoing buildings or setting large rock walls. It is within inches of zero radius when articulated all the way to the right. Well built superstructure. Improved from 53 series. Great access/ cab lifts up. They can lift an aweful lot of weight.

Cons: They say the track power has been improved and it probably has but could use more.

When running at higher alt. it runs warm on 100 plus days.

AC doesn't keep up with heat generation on those 100 plus days

I wish it made more GPM at the aux. Would like to run larger hoe pac.

I wish the bucket articulated more

A lot of grease zerks. Takes .75 of a tub to grease entire machine

Uses a little more fuel than previous

Personal preference issues
The interior is very Japanese. Which is to say it is utilitarian, if your into a gee whiz interior your not going to find that in a TK.

The controls are nice but I have run machines with a better " feel" to the hydrualics. That of course is very subjective.

The machine does the work of a much larger machine.
These 53 series machines have made me a lot of money and are well worth the investment for me. Big power in a small package. Very few problems with them. I have several small issues to get fixed when I have time (windshield wipers don't work, and I think the AC needs to be charged possible break in freon line I suspect). IF you should demo one it is important to spend a full day on one. The side to side boom takes some time to get used to.

Construct'O
07-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Great job KSSS with the nuts and bolts report of your machine!!!!!! I'll give you an AAA + on your report:usflag:

Good luck with the air conditioning.Pay back for the sub zero weather last winter without the cab.Should have saved a little of the cold:drinkup:

construrent
07-29-2007, 09:26 AM
KSSS,

Thanks for the response,

What model of hoepac are you using right now?

Over the long term, the boom design, do you think it will be expensive or hard to maintain?

How many hours do you have on yours?

Thanks, I should get my unit within the next 3 - 4 weeks,

Regards,

ksss
07-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Right now I am running a Kent 35 hoe pac. I want to run a Kent 65 as well. The 35 is really designed for trench compaction but I use it for everything. I am 1 gpm from running the 65 at it lowest recommended GPM level. If you compare the TK machines across the board they have lower aux. GPM numbers. I am not sure why that is. As far as durability of the boom system over the long haul, There have been several issues as the machines got more hours on them. I traded my 53 at 1500 hours. I had a wield which seemed to be in a low stress area develop a crack. I was using mine to break through a lot of frost this last Winter it was used harder than it should have been. I had it rewielded no big deal. Another guy near me has two 53's and just bought a 180. He broke his boom at the knuckle. He had one of the first 53 off the line. TK came to the dealer and all subsequent machines had been redesigned. The 153 is better built. The area I had my crack in has been completely filled in with wield. The knuckle system is much cleaner and heavier. I feel comfortable with the durability of the system. My neighbor who broke his boom is pretty hard on things and he knows that. He later purchased a 180 so he was happy enough with his machines to purchase a third.

Did you order a 153 or are they bringing one in for you to demo?

My current 153 has 250 hours on it.