PDA

View Full Version : Please indentify this grass

cross1933
07-28-2007, 11:15 PM
What type of grass is this?

Nosmo
07-29-2007, 07:23 PM
I may get laughed at but my guess is this -- if you like crab grass -- that's what it looks like.

IN2MOWN
07-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Isnt that Bermuda?...

nmez21
07-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Tall fescue I think. I've got some in my own yard and it'll look like a weed in bluegrass or fine fescue lawns because of its coarse texture and rapid growth.

Nosmo
07-30-2007, 06:50 AM
No it isn't Bermuda but I think nmez21 may be right about tall fescue. About mid-July this type of grass and Dalis grass really start trying to take over my Bermuda.

I stand corrected if this variety is not one of the crab grasses.

Nosmo

cgaengineer
07-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Looks like tall fescue to me...but I could be wrong as well. Wait until bermuda is completely dormant (Middle of winter) and spot treat with Round Up, you may want to brush on the leaves to make sure you dont get any on bermuda if not completely dormant. It may take several applications to completely rid your bermuda of this grass.

Capemay Eagle
07-30-2007, 02:52 PM
I may get laughed at but my guess is this -- if you like crab grass -- that's what it looks like.
I think you right, notice the red root base to the left of the pic. It really looks like all weeds with crab grass and there seems to be a small oak tree at the bottom of the pic. I am not being rude, but that is what it seem to look like.

cross1933
07-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I think you right, notice the red root base to the left of the pic. It really looks like all weeds with crab grass and there seems to be a small oak tree at the bottom of the pic. I am not being rude, but that is what it seem to look like.

Nothing would surprise me, to say I am disappointed in the landscape job by the builder is a understatement.

Rtom45
07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Most of the picture appears to be tall fescue, but there is crabgrass (or goosegrass or dallisgrass) to the left center. I can also see about 3 different broadleaf weeds.

Capemay Eagle
07-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Nothing would surprise me, to say I am disappointed in the landscape job by the builder is a understatement.It could be a contractors mix, is it real bright grean, almost fluorescent, almost looks like plastic??Quick germinating seed.

cross1933
07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
It could be a contractors mix, is it real bright grean, almost fluorescent, almost looks like plastic??Quick germinating seed.

The neighbor had the builders landscaping company bring in some dirt and seed some low areas of his yard. When I look over there I see a yellow green grass in the new areas. Prior to this his yard was a nice uniform grass without this tall fescue. I found out he paid them $400 for the dirt,I use this term loosely, and seeding. I would be have them come back and fix this, at their cost.

cross1933
07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
What would be better to use in this situation a gill rake or a harley rake?I will be killing off the existing lawn, bringing in top soil,grade yard and plant new seed. The biggest part of the project will be grading the yard.

Nosmo
07-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Yep there is a variety in there . I did see that purple in the left area and a small piece in the farther right area. Looked like clover towards the back and I did see that oak seedling. Did anyone see Waldo in there ?

Capemay Eagle
07-30-2007, 08:43 PM
What would be better to use in this situation a gill rake or a harley rake?I will be killing off the existing lawn, bringing in top soil,grade yard and plant new seed. The biggest part of the project will be grading the yard.I have been going through this for the past few years myself. I have finally got the sides and the back established, I am have a difficult time with the front yard for some reason, not far off from your pic. Earlier in the spring I set my tine thatcher low and added some weight to it and it really cleaned up all the weeds real well. It basically tilled up the entire front leaving just the hearty rooted grass(not much). Then I over seeded and I was able to get some grass, it looked promising in the early summer and then it just went to pot, it dried up and was over run with little flowers and weeds. I am going to try this procedure once again in the fall with better seed and hope for the best. I already told my wife, if I get no results this fall, I am calling in the pros..

cross1933
07-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Did anyone see Waldo in there ?

There are too many to pic out just one!

Nosmo
08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I thought I saw his socks.

Nosmo
08-29-2007, 06:19 AM
I know I'm reviving an older thread but I found a photo of what Tall Fescue looks like in my part of the country . There is a brief description that acompanies this photo.

That original photo in the first post looks like the type of crabgrass we have around here. Smooth crabgrass without the purple stems.

The crabgrass is really coming on strong this year. We have had plenty of rain this year.

Nosmo

Tall fescue is best identified by stiff, dark green leaves, with deeply grooved upper leaf surfaces and shiny, smooth lower leaf surfaces. Edges of the leaf blades have fine, sharp barbs (serrated). (Stephen K. Barnhart)

Newt*
08-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Cross, you can use these sites to see if you can id what grasses you have.
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/index.html
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/turfSpecies/tourseason/Tour.html

Crabgrass or knotweed?
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2007/knotweed.htm

Annual bluegrass or Kentucky bluegrass?
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2005/poa512.htm

Newt