PDA

View Full Version : OHV Briggs valve guides

randy448
07-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Run into two engines so far that the valve guide moves out of the head as it is running. Goes so far then bends push rod , it flies out and bends intake rod. Another local shop has seen one too. I staked the guide around it's base and told customer if it came out again need new head. Anyone else seen this, Restorob? Clean around the fins so not a localized heat problem but has got to be something, maybe tolerances got a little loose at factory? One head was priced @ 85$ other @ 140$ valve guides at machine shop about half that?

Restrorob
07-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Well Randy, This is the first I've heard of any issues with OHV valve guides. I did a check for any service bulletins and didn't find any either.

Maybe luck of the draw that you stumbled across two ?

I have ran across a few Intek's with cam lobe problems but for the most part the OHV's seem to be pretty good engines.

randy448
08-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Just got a two year old 26hp in that only lifts the intake .030 thousandth. 300 some hours mowing an apartment complex. have not tore apart yet to find out ,just quick diagnose, pull valve covers to check lash. Can I see the bulletin you said there is?

randy448
08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Sorry fingers got ahead of brain there. Cooling off for lunch,it is 94 with about 90% humidity here in Ill. today. Went back and read post and you said no bullitens.

Restrorob
08-03-2007, 06:08 PM
If you are/work for a Briggs authorized warranty station and this engine is still with-in the warranty period contact dealer support and explain to them what you found.

If you are not/don't work for a Briggs A.W.S and this engine is with-in the warranty period DO NOT tear it down but take it to a Briggs A.W.S and let them check it then contact Briggs.