PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't my mower cutting?

MrC
07-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I have replaced and sharpened my blades (Craftsman 21" mower) and for some reason after making a pass I can see that it didn't cut everything I just went over. I have it set at 3.5 inches and I don't bag the clippings. Am I cutting to high? What am I doing wrong?

STL Lawn
07-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Not sure...have you tried lowering it and see if the cut is any better. The blade may not be balanced correctly which would result in an uneven cut.

nmez21
07-29-2007, 02:21 PM
The height sounds about right for your area. As long as you aren't hearing anything that might signal low engine rpm's then you might have an airflow problem. If you've got a lot of grass that has collected underneath the deck you may want to scrape it out. If that isn't the problem then you might want to try "pitching" the deck a little by lowering the front of the deck a notch or by raising the back wheels up a notch.

LarryF
07-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Not sure...have you tried lowering it and see if the cut is any better. The blade may not be balanced correctly which would result in an uneven cut.

Or................the deck itself may not be level. Is it 3.5" all around? I presume you already checked to make sure the blade isn't installed upside down and that the bolt is tight enough so that the blade is turning with the spindle.

MrC
07-29-2007, 08:41 PM
It does cut better when I lower it, but I'm trying to maintain the 3.5" cut. The engine does not sound like it's struggling and tune it up every year.

I balanced the blade with the plastic blade balancers that you get at Home Depot. I labeled the top and bottom of the blade before removing it to prevent improper install. I also tighten the bolt enough because I definitely didn't want it come off. The underside of the deck is clean.

I'll check to see if it's 3.5" all around tomorrow and try pitching it in a couple days.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

steve45
07-29-2007, 11:15 PM
I was going to guess that you had installed the blade upside down.

If there are little fins behind the cutting portion of the blade, they should be on top.

Capemay Eagle
07-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Did you buy mulching blades by mistake?? I had a Craftsman years ago and mulching blades never cut right on the thing..

MrC
07-31-2007, 05:35 PM
I tried to Craftsman mowers. One has a mulching blade which was recommended by sears and the other is the original blade. Should I replace the blade with another brand/type?

JTF40
07-31-2007, 10:43 PM
I was going to guess that you had installed the blade upside down.

If there are little fins behind the cutting portion of the blade, they should be on top.

I made that mistake - ONCE - 30 years ago. :hammerhead: :usflag:

Capemay Eagle
08-01-2007, 10:09 AM
I tried to Craftsman mowers. One has a mulching blade which was recommended by sears and the other is the original blade. Should I replace the blade with another brand/type?
Nope, It is just time to replace the Craftsman with a new Quick 36..lol

Kid With A Mower
08-04-2007, 05:42 AM
You put the blade in correctly, it's balanced, Hmmm. Is you're engine running ok? Mabey try adjusting the idle speed of on the carburetor. If it's not that then I'm stumped.

MrC
08-04-2007, 09:13 AM
The engine runs fine and starts up on the first pull. I don't know what it is. Can it have anything to do with lift?

Well with mowers going on clearance maybe it's time for a new one. What should I look for in a mower? Brands/models? Let not go to crazy.

hole in one lco
08-04-2007, 09:47 AM
weeds always look better cut short . If you have grass i mean green grass follow your throttle cable to the carb and make sure its opening all the way

MrC
08-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Well I tried bagging the lawn today and it cut the grass without missing sections. Now how does this happen?

lawnjockey56
08-04-2007, 03:44 PM
sounds like upside down blades

Kid With A Mower
08-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Well I tried bagging the lawn today and it cut the grass without missing sections. Now how does this happen?
Before where you mulching or side discharging?

MrC
08-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I was mulching.

andrewcarrigan
08-05-2007, 03:06 PM
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: start it!!!!!!

bobcat175
08-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I was mulching.

When you were mulching did you use the "mulching insert" to maintain the curve of the underside of the deck?

MILSINC
08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Have someone look at it and try it out. This is getting nowhere.