PDA

View Full Version : Browning Lawn w/ Pics

STL Lawn
07-29-2007, 12:43 PM
This lawn looked great two months ago...I really don't know what happend.

We moved in to this house one year ago. The first thing I did was start the Scotts 4 step program. I also did some basic spot repairs. I had the lawn looking stellar this spring. It was really thick and green. But now its gone to the pictures below and I need to know what I've done wrong.

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/jddebord/Yard/

I'm more concerned with the back yard since it is much worse than the front, but I would appreciate any input that I could get on what I need to do to take care of this as I am new to the St Louis area and am not familiar with the types of problems that are experienced in this region.

I really enjoy working in the yard and trying to maintain the best lawn on my block, so it is really killing me having a yard that looks like this. I'll have to admit that I do not have a sprinkler system installed yet, so my watering isn't as regular as I would like, but this issue doesn't look like its due to a lack of water. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

ed2hess
07-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Did you use any weed-n-feed and what kind of weather have you been having?

sjessen
07-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm guessing it has/had a disease - maybe brown patch or something like it.

STL Lawn
07-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I used some Ortho Weed-B-Gone early in the year to get rid of some clover. The weather has been pretty hot and dry over the past month. I do water, but like I said, I don't have a sprinkler system so its not on a scheduled basis.

Do you think I may have burnt it up? The brown spots have a weird, matted down look so went over them with a rake to get the grass back standing upright. Not much grass came up so I don't think I'm dealing with grubs, but could be some disease?

What do I need to do as a next step? I had planned to dethatch/aeirate this fall and overseed but it appears I could have some more work to do.

STL Lawn
07-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Could a disease come on so bad in such a short time.

dcgreenspro
07-29-2007, 04:34 PM
What has the average temp and humidity been? It is the end of july, so the lawn going a little dormant won't hurt anything. Try and get it some water when you can and wait for the temps to begin cooling down. Renovate and for the spots like that, take a look at you soil structure (compacted clay) as the culprit. Take a soil test before you renovate so you can amend the soil while it is open.
Many people on here see grass changing colors and for some reason have a spastic reaction and then start shouting disease names. Just remember, you need three things in the disease cycle: host, pathogen and enviornment. Take awaay any one of those variables and disease will not occur. Home lawns are the least susceptible to disease unless it is being kept in the extremes.

STL Lawn
07-29-2007, 04:54 PM
It has been in the high 80s low 90s here for awhile with a couple 80 degree "cool downs" in there. Haven't got much rain and the humidity is always fairly high around here (50-90%)

sjessen
07-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Many people on here see grass changing colors and for some reason have a spastic reaction and then start shouting disease names.

DCGreenspro,

I hear you. However, in this area(East Tennessee) The pictures look a lot like brown patch. I know so because I have this very same thing in my own yard and have kept it watered properly. I applied some bayleton and it has begun to come back.

STL Lawn
07-29-2007, 08:35 PM
I hate to put more chemicals on it if it is infact burning up...will this hurt it any more if it in fact does not have any disease.

sjessen
07-29-2007, 08:40 PM
I hate to put more chemicals on it if it is infact burning up...will this hurt it any more if it in fact does not have any disease.

You might try watering it thoroughly first. If there is no greenup after a few days you might consider getting some professional advice locally before doing anything else.

In this area, if the disease progresses very far the grass will oftentimes die and need to be reseeded in the fall. First year seeding is the most vulnerable to disease.

mattfromNY
07-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Looks like its gone dormant to me. Of all my accounts (63 regular and another 15 EOW), most of the lawns that get regular fert. look just like your lawn, most of them that dont get fertilizer are still green but its only weeds that are growing, mainly clover and plantain. We've been very dry since May, and just recently we've started getting rain and things are slowly starting to get back to normal. We've got two accounts that are on regular watering/ irrigation, and they dont look much better than the rest, a little green grass, but mostly just the few weeds that are present look wonderfully healthy... its just DRY!!
My vote is on dormant grass, it'll look good again soon with regular rainfall.

STL Lawn
07-29-2007, 11:15 PM
It is hard for my grass to get water too since I have 4 huge trees keeping it well covered. Even when I do water, since the grass gets no sun and the humidity stays so high the grass takes forever to actually become dry again.

The Rookie
07-30-2007, 07:26 PM
our area is 10 inches behind in rainfall right now. so I would think that St. Louis , being 150 or so miles away would be in a drought also.