PDA

View Full Version : SC County Blunder

RAlmaroad
07-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Guys--The county messed up and cleaned out a perfectly clean, centipeded drainage ditch. There was never any drainage there to start with and I kept it mowed as part of the yard. Well they screwed up. In complaining they are going to put in the 15" inch tile that my neighbor and I are going to pay for and cover it at county cost and are smoothing it back out. They have said that they will sow bermuda seed with some annual rye. This is in an area that I cannot keep watered. Will the bermuda stand up to low watering and hot temps? And, will it invade my centipede? What other options would I have for such a place? Thanks, Roy

DiyDave
07-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Bermuda will stand up to high temps, and it will invade just about anything. tell them not to seed, you seed or plug , or sod Centipede back into it, and it'll look better!

RAlmaroad
07-30-2007, 04:34 AM
In SC, centipede seed sprouts quickly IF you WAIT TILL AFTER JUNE to sow it. I sowed some in places that I could only water ocassionally with the water hose and it is up, looks great, and thickening. The only real problems is the $30/pound. Since it is so late, I'm going to let it lay till cooler weather and sow some annual rye and reseed it with the centipede next summer. Thanks