PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Metro 26

DCE
07-30-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm really curious how the Metro 26 compares to the Metro 21, so I placed a call to my Exmark dealer and he is going to work on getting a demo unit of the 26 in for me to try out. I should have it in my possession before this coming weekend. I'll post comparison pics and a review. This one I will be trying out is a current production Metro 26, not a first generation one that had some problems. This will be interesting...

MLI
07-30-2007, 11:50 AM
The 26 in Exmark blows! I just unloaded mine and grabbed a 21(which is awesome) I had the upgraded 26 and all I can tell you is it didnt cut even, it didnt mulch well,it was heavy. I tried the high lifts and the mulching blade and wasnt happy with either! The 21 will work circles around this heap. The 21 mulches nicely.

DCE
07-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Wow...that bad? There's a multi-fleet lawn service here in town that puts Metro 26's on their trucks along with Wright Standers. Well, I'll see for myself soon enough. I'm just merely curious on how the 26 stacks up. I love the 21 and indeed, a great mulcher. And great workhorse machine all around.

Why do you suppose it cuts uneven?

I noticed via specs, the 21 has a higher blade tip speed than the 26. Maybe, this explains why it doesn't mulch as good?

MLI
07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
.....personally I think the uneven cut comes from the large single blade. It can not compensate for uneven ground leaving high spots as the machine dips in a rut.

DCE
07-30-2007, 12:50 PM
.....personally I think the uneven cut comes from the large single blade. It can not compensate for uneven ground leaving high spots as the machine dips in a rut.

Makes sense. I've even experienced this before with the 21". But with the 26", the effect maybe more exaggerated due to the wider cut. My yard is flat with no ruts or dips so I don't think it will have a problem. My folks' yard has one place that my 21" can't cut too well due to the dip...and their backyard tapers a bit so that might be a challenge to jockey the 26. But, we'll find out soon. I'm going into this with an open mind. IF it cuts/mulches really well I may consider trading in the 21...but this 26 really has to impress me first.

DCE
08-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I picked up the Metro 26 demo unit from my dealer, Corey Ingle at Forsyth Mower Works here in Winston-Salem, this morning. It's too damn hot to do anything outside this afternoon so I will wait until this evening to cut my grass. Before putting it in the garage, I fired it up and ran it around the yard real quick. I can already tell, this isn't going to be as nimble handling as a 21". It is already set up for mulching with the mulch plug. And i think, it is a 2nd generation Metro 26...has the regular FJ180V Kaw engine, but I was told it has all the updates that Exmark has issued for this model. It has to go back to the dealer this Monday so I will be trying it out on my yard and my folks' yard tomorrow. Will post a review and pics...it kinda dwarfs my 21. I met up with a friend of mine on the way back home after picking the 26 up and he got a look at it and said "that's one hell of a mower!" :weightlifter:

Stillwater
12-17-2007, 02:09 AM
what was your final opinion on this metro 26?

shane mapes
12-17-2007, 03:35 AM
i use the metro 26 as well . it is the biggest mower we have we have small lots here . the metro work well for us . it will not suck up as well as the Honda's [21] but we will be buying at least one more this year . i like the mower . a little heavy but no problem..DCE what did you come up with ...

Stillwater
12-17-2007, 06:03 AM
I just bought one and it will be ready for pick up this week. I was getting a little nervous reading the negative comments on these 26's should I be concerned?? it is a 07

DCE
12-17-2007, 09:32 PM
I posted a full review and pics of the Metro 26 here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=196284

The mower does have a purpose but it's not for everyone. Weight is definitely an issue, don't expect to jockey this around like you can a 21" because it takes more calculation and more strength to do so. I only had the mower for one weekend, and it was only set up for mulching so I didn't get to test bagging or discharging.

FWIW, Toro is coming out with their version of the Metro 26 in 2008 from what I heard. It looks exactly like the Metro 26 except with Toro logos.

sildoc
12-17-2007, 11:53 PM
I have the 26 and have been over joyed with it on our smaller properties. Fast, easier to get off and going than the 36 wb. Problem with the bag but that was solved by dealer and exmark. Haven't mulched with it though. I love mine and in fact picking up 2 more for this next year.
they do have their place and if I could put 36's in there I would.