PDA

View Full Version : Echo Articulating Hedge Trimmer Problems

tsh1773
07-30-2007, 12:18 PM
I have had this hedge trimmer attachment now for almost 4 years. Never had any problems except for some of housing screws falling out. No big deal. Was using it last Saturday and noticed some smoke coming from the housing and it got a little worse. I finished the job and noticed that all four housing screws were gone. Bought four new screws, added some red lock tight and installed. Added grease, now it doesn't work when all screws are tight. If I loosen the screws about 2 rounds each, it will work but the grease comes out and the screws will fall out again. What is wrong with it? Any suggestions. Paid $290 for it. I'm a little afraid to take it apart. I have a parts diagram. It's model 99944200590.

tallimeca
07-30-2007, 04:27 PM
if you bolt the plate up and the gearbox tightens up, something is out of line. I wonder if the clip came off or broke on the top of the cam that turns the blades.

supercuts
07-30-2007, 07:54 PM
pop the cover off and look, the gears are on a round flat piece that acts like a crankshaft in a car. the connecting rod could have hopped off but i doubt it would work if it did. pop the cover off and is should be obvious

ed2hess
07-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I guess you are talking about your PAS230....so possibly when the four screws came out maybe the flex shaft slipped out of the clutch drum. Take off the hedge trimmer attachment and pull the flex shaft out and push it back in then fire it up and see if the shaft is turning? Maybe i way off but give us a littl more info. I have had failures on the uppor flex shaft at the connection point where the lower shaft is inserted....You can't see any problem but the plastic apparently yields and it won't drive the lower shaft.

tsh1773
07-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I found the problem(s). The metal o-ring was broken that goes inside the "connecting rod". Also the Gasket was all but gone. Looks like I will be placing a parts order. Thanks.