PDA

View Full Version : Exmark, toro, scag, hustler, other?? POLL...please read

DillonsLawnCare
07-30-2007, 05:41 PM
i wanted to see what was the most popular zero turn mower!!

thanks and mention any other good brand you think's the best!

:usflag: :usflag: :cool2: :cool2: :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :waving:

lawnman456
07-30-2007, 07:04 PM
it's not about the brand. all of thoses makes are good. it's about the dealership you buy them from. Dealer support is very important

i run all scags and i love it. i sure if i tryed something else i would like it too

02DURAMAX
08-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Scag.........

TurfGuysInc.
08-26-2007, 01:47 AM
scag, exmark, we run both machines and both are beasts.

yancylandscape
09-17-2007, 01:56 AM
My next will probably be a Ferris IS

Sydenstricker Landscaping
09-17-2007, 09:06 AM
all scag here!!!! exmark would be second pick

Daddy Joes Lawn Service
09-25-2007, 01:44 PM
John Deere!!!!!

Eric D
09-25-2007, 01:51 PM
I was wondering if you were trying to bias the vote by having Toro at the top of the selection list.:rolleyes:

As others have already stated, they are all good units. My choice more because of dealers then machine, Toro first, eXmark second.:usflag:

ExcaliburLawnCare
09-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I use John Deere and Exmark....is Exmark used more because of availability or because they are heavily marketed.

DillonsLawnCare
09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
i think that people buy exmark for the name. JMO

SwihartServices
10-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Exmark is the best cutting mower I have ever ran. The Ultra cut deck is unstoppable. And its not about the name it's about the carpet smooth cut.

capetan
10-11-2007, 06:40 PM
i went to an exmark dealer and was looking at walk behinds, correct me if iam wrong but the parts and design of the toro are the same as the exmark and the price is within 100 bucks..... in this area pretty much everyone uses toro or exmark

SwihartServices
10-11-2007, 07:34 PM
the deck construction is different, it makes a huge difference.

jbannick18
10-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I personally am going to stick with toro because i have a great relationship with a dealership about 30 minutes away. If my mower goes down I get a loaner etc. Great people.

S man
10-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Dealer support is just as or more important than the brand you choose. Go by dealer then select the equipment they sell. I am sort of into exmark because of the dealer I got it from.

smcunningham
10-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Scag..:weightlifter:

loom-gen
10-17-2007, 12:24 AM
i think that people buy exmark for the name. JMO

People buy john deere for the name. They buy scags or exmarks to cut grass habitually, frequently and continuously.

VP Landscape LLC
10-19-2007, 08:24 PM
i myslef have a 07 Hustler Trimstar, and i love it, havent had any problems with it yet, but i would buy a exmark or walker next...

atnulook
10-19-2007, 11:36 PM
what do you about the ferris1500z 44"

tamadrummer
10-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Can't beat the cut of my Deere nor the service at my dealership! With Green Fleet, if it isn't fixed in an hour or less there will be a mower in your trailer and you will be back on the job....... end of story!

John Deere gets it for me! Highland Turf and Tractor (Dade City,FL) for service!

madokie
10-20-2007, 12:14 AM
I have found that it really depends on what part of the US you are working in as to what brands are the most common. I personally have found the Hustler SuperZ to be my alltime favorite. I have owned and used Dixie Chopper, Grasshopper, Cub Cadet, Toro, Wright Stander, John Deere, and others as well. I will always try to stay with the Hustler SuperZ.

vermonta
10-20-2007, 09:46 PM
In over twenty years in business, I have owned Exmarks since 1990 and have never seen a better cut overall. I have a 72", 60" Lazers and a 60" and 52" turf tracers.

This year I bought an Everide Warrior 25Kaw 60" with bagger and it's great for wet grass but the deck wheels are to far away from the ground. Scalps to easy unless it's pretty flat. And it also doesn't chop the clippings up, it just throws them out and they could be as much as 5" long coming out of the deck. It disperses them well but doesn't cut them up much.

On the Toro? IMHO they made a great improvement in there machines when they bought there competition (Exmark) because they got there best ideas from what the Exmark already had. There deck is a bit different but other than that there the same basic machine. Before they bought ExMark there mid size comercials were IMHO again JUNK But, they are greatly improved now.

perfectpasslawns
11-12-2007, 11:30 PM
grasshopper!!!!!FTW! nobody here use them?

kreft
11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
go eXmark!!!!!

LawnSharks
01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
eXmark rules!!! Pretty much anything RED is good equipment. eXmark, newer Toros, Gravely, Yazoo Kees....all good, reliable stuff!!

wayside
01-28-2008, 12:30 AM
to me scag & wright

Bob-Cat#1
01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Bob-Cat is #1 without a doubt!

Harrington Landscape
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
we run 1 lesco and the rest exmark just went out yesterday and got a 07 left over 60 lazer. We love our exmarks

HenryB
01-30-2008, 10:57 PM
we run 1 lesco and the rest exmark just went out yesterday and got a 07 left over 60 lazer. We love our exmarks

How do you compare the Lesco Z2 to the Lazer Z.

jdogg399
01-30-2008, 11:03 PM
scag /exmark but if had to choose one exmark

Harrington Landscape
01-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Before I knew "Exmark" I thought nothing could top my Lesco. It was our first zero turn rider and we really didn't know much about them at the time. All we knew was it would seriously cut our mowing time. We shopped around for pricing, and at the time we went with the cheaper price and it came with a "Free" lawn striper. We were completely satisfied with it, except for the fact that it clumped terribly in wet grass. Two years later we needed to purchase another rider and decided to try Exmark eventhough the price was a bit higher. Today we are glad we did! I does not clump and it cuts beautifully. Although we had to purchase our striping kit separatley, it is a much better quality then the free one on the Lesco and looks like it is actually striping the lawn, unlike the Lesco. Our lawns look great and our customers are happy. The Exmark's are now our first choice and our Lesco will be used as a backup. Lesco does the job, but Exmark does it better!
~Mrs. Harrington Landscape

dubmckay
04-14-2008, 11:01 PM
i went to an exmark dealer and was looking at walk behinds, correct me if iam wrong but the parts and design of the toro are the same as the exmark and the price is within 100 bucks

Toro bought eXmark a few years ago (maybe they couldn't design mowers themselves)...your major differences will be found in the deck (toro has steel spindles, eXmark has aluminum) different baffle setups, you will find different hand controls on the walk behinds (I prefer the exmark pistol grip, but it was the mower I was brought up on)

eXmark is preferred 2:1 by commercial cutters over the next leading brand(Scag)

vermonta
04-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Toro bought Exmark because although Toro made big machines for golf courses, fairways etc. and did well in that area, in the commercial user market like us (walk behinds & ztrs especially) they were getting beat pretty badly IMHO because they had a far cheaper product built more like a home owner walmart special.
So, they did the smartest thing they could do. They bought Exmark and were smart enough, business wise, to keep it as it's own company but got the advantage of all its patents and far advanced engineering.
I was real happy they kept them separate. I had two already, but waited a few years to see if they would cheapen the Exmark down like the toros were. Instead they much improved the Toro and made even more improvements on the Exmarks.
A smart business move:cool2:

dubmckay
04-15-2008, 08:36 AM
smart, I wll agree

KS_Grasscutter
04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
One word: WALKER.

dubmckay
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Walker is a great machine for manicured lawns...I see them alot in New Orleans and surronding areas.

tacoma200
04-21-2008, 03:30 AM
No John Deere?

tacoma200
04-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Toro bought eXmark a few years ago (maybe they couldn't design mowers themselves)...your major differences will be found in the deck (toro has steel spindles, eXmark has aluminum) different baffle setups, you will find different hand controls on the walk behinds (I prefer the exmark pistol grip, but it was the mower I was brought up on)

eXmark is preferred 2:1 by commercial cutters over the next leading brand(Scag)

Where did you get that information (about Scag being #2)? I knew Exmark was #1.

musician/lawnman
05-03-2008, 05:45 PM
I run a 52" Yazoo/Kees Mid Max , w/ upgraded mulch kit. Does a nice cut Would have liked an exmark when I bought this (I was just starting up) but I've been happy with it. The mulch kit is nice though it does slow me down a bit.

I was doing a large property yesterday with it & across the street there was another company mowing 4 empty lots. 2 guys on Dixies & 1 on a Scagg turf tiger.... I was amazed at how fast they were mowing! I kept thinkin damn, Maybe this really is a piece of junk? til I got done & pulled back onto the road & could see all the hay they left behind & all the spots they missed plus all the weeds that made it through & didn't get cut.

I agree dealer service is a real important factor, but deck design & blade tip speed help a lot too!

monro
09-23-2008, 05:25 PM
:weightlifter:scags only mowers ever needed

vermonta
09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
til I got done & pulled back onto the road & could see all the hay they left behind & all the spots they missed plus all the weeds that made it through & didn't get cut.

I agree dealer service is a real important factor, but deck design & blade tip speed help a lot too!
You got that right.
The finished product needs to look finished:cool2: Not like a hay field !

POPO4995
09-23-2008, 09:55 PM
All I got is Deere. Got two new mowers planned for next year and am going to look at Dixie Chopper and Hustler. Scag would be ok but they're too damn expensive!

americanlawn
09-24-2008, 08:48 PM
JD here -- it's as good as any. Cuts tall/wet grass and leaves the property looking sweat.

dura to the max
09-25-2008, 07:24 PM
i didnt read the entire thread, dont have time, but i think they all make comparable machines. i voted other b/c of this...basically the old ford/chevy question(except we all know chevy is better!)

ein999
10-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Have a scag 48" walkbehind advantage belt drive.

MidwestLawnService
10-29-2008, 07:13 PM
what about Bad Boy mowers? i've been looking into one of those

DLAWNS
10-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm a Toro guy myself, but I own two exmarks as well. I like them both.

J&R Landscaping
10-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Bob-Cat is #1 without a doubt!

Bobcat for me as well. Exmark & Toro would be tied for 2nd.

STIHL GUY
11-15-2008, 11:24 PM
my bobcat is built tough and stripes great

Rollin In Green
11-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I own a 2008 61" Ferris IS2000 and a 2007 54" husqvarna and also a older 52" Toro and nothing I mean nothing compares to the Ferris the independent suspension makes one hell of a difference. I will never buy anything but Ferris again.

sflannig
11-25-2008, 07:24 PM
I own both toro and hustler walkbehinds, started with toro, then bought hustler. I am sold on hustler, excellent cut, ground speed, and durability. I think toro might be killing themselves with their prices for 08 and 09. $5300 for a 36"...i will never pay that

groundskeeperllc
11-25-2008, 09:41 PM
grasshopper, nothing smoother to drive and as comfortable to sit on, lays a beautiful cut too

LuvMyFerris
12-18-2008, 03:10 PM
I voted for OTHER= FERRIS

grassaholic
12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
My vote was for other. For me other=Walker!! I used to be an Exmark fan but I have grown to love the Walker mower. Exmark still makes a great mower. I just like the Walkers better.:drinkup:

mowzilla
01-05-2009, 08:54 PM
People buy john deere for the name. They buy scags or exmarks to cut grass habitually, frequently and continuously.

that is the truth! i use a john deere ztrak pro z820a at day job and have run it against the exmark lazer z/lazer z xs.. the deere is fast but, we all know (sans jd's mulch on demand-mine does not have that), inevitably, we will have to cut tall grass with a mulch kit on unless you are blessed to have more than one ztr.. anything over a skim cut (yep i keep it serviced and sharpened) the deere sucks compared to the exmark same hp and same deck size. we have a ton of exmarks and three jd's at day job-- exmarks cut almost as fast when skimmin', faster in the thick stuff, and leave a much better cut than the jd with fewer problems..note: i do think the jd mulches better and cleaner than the exmark. sentimentally like toro due to my ever so reliable 22 year old proline 36 i have owned since new! but the ultracut/triton exmark is just straight out my favorite zero turn..

RonAyersMotorsports
01-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I have been a Dealer for all but Scag, and have worked on all of these for many years. The dealer makes the biggest difference. But I would have to say Hustler First, Toro Second, Exmark Third, and Scag Last. And by the way they are all great units. A dealer usually makes or breaks the brand.

mowzilla
01-06-2009, 08:47 PM
i have dealers for these brands in my town: deere, hustler, exmark. i have a couple of toro dealers, a gravely dealer, and a yazoo/kees dealer about 30-45 mins from my home.

i decided to go check out the hustlers today since he happens to also be the redmax (which is my favorite brand) dealer in my town. i have to say the mowers have some nice features. i especially found their hydro walk-behinds twist grip t-handle drive system very comfortable. and he says they use a 7 gauge deck. the prices on the ztr's and walk behinds are quite a bit less than the exmarks (which as of now is my choice) and seems to be a straight up guy. he priced me a hydro walk behind 48'/17 kawasaki that is the same price as the toro and exmark belt drives and considerably cheaper than the 36 turf tracer hp (yes it was the trimstar 48) . all the manufacturers use the same engines and ground drive systems.. any feedback from the hustler guys is welcome as is from anyone else ..and also is anyone using yazoo/kees??

W.L.M.
01-07-2009, 12:29 AM
I run scag and John Deere would be my second choice toro third. I ran exmarks at my former employer and they cut very poorly compared to my scag and they were constantly needing something replaced and to top it all off my local exmark dealer is a prick and provides no support after the sale.

fmycue
01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Price is always an issue. So you c:drinkup:ant go wrong with Ferris or Snapper hydros:drinkup:

bighaydenslawn
01-13-2009, 09:47 PM
When I started in business this year I had my eyes set on a brand new Exmark Lazer Z 60" Ultra Deck. They looked awesome. But, the more I have researched and formed opinions, that dream mower has switched to a brand new Scag Turf Tiger 61". Looks like an unbeatable machine to me. I like Grasshoppers as well, you can really make great time with them. Also as you can see in my sig I don't think JD is too bad either (Z225 42"), at least I am going to have and use a decent name-brand ZTR until I have the funding for that Scag! Are Hustlers really that great? Toro and Wright and Walker are names that are foreign around here.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-14-2009, 09:10 AM
what about Bad Boy mowers? i've been looking into one of those

They are decent mowers for a homeowner but not for the Commercial guy. Their deck is built out of industrial parts and no where near the thickness we see out of mowers like Hustler, Toro, Exmark, or Scag. Besides they sell them at Tractor Supply too!:laugh::nono:

tom's lawn care
04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Wright is the best

SouthernDelight
04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Cant beat a Hustler or a Deere.

kmzlawncare
07-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Dixie Chopper for me.

musician/lawnman
07-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I run a 52" Yazoo/Kees Mid Max , w/ upgraded mulch kit. Does a nice cut Would have liked an exmark when I bought this (I was just starting up) but I've been happy with it. The mulch kit is nice though it does slow me down a bit.

I was doing a large property yesterday with it & across the street there was another company mowing 4 empty lots. 2 guys on Dixies & 1 on a Scagg turf tiger.... I was amazed at how fast they were mowing! I kept thinkin damn, Maybe this really is a piece of junk? til I got done & pulled back onto the road & could see all the hay they left behind & all the spots they missed plus all the weeds that made it through & didn't get cut.

I have since then bought a 48" Wright Centar in july of last year. I was so impressed with it that I just last month sold the Yazoo & bought another wright just like the 1st one. These machines rock. Faster, lighter, cut's better & takes the hills like it's on rails. Easy maintenence & more manuverable too, plus a smaller footprint so there's more room in the trailer!
I change my vote..... WRIGHT!

kmzlawncare
07-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't know how high they were cutting but we never take any more then 3/4 " off of a lawn unless it was a new job that we have not cut yet.
And as far as cut and speed our Dixies can run 15mph and lay down a nice cut. As far as blade speed we run 4000 rpm engine speed so I know the dixie has a high blade speed. And as far as the scag goes a good friend of mine has a lawn care company and we help each other out and the scag has a great cut also and it will run 12mph. I think these are both great mowers.

SouthernDelight
07-12-2009, 03:48 AM
I don't know how high they were cutting but we never take any more then 3/4 " off of a lawn unless it was a new job that we have not cut yet.
And as far as cut and speed our Dixies can run 15mph and lay down a nice cut. As far as blade speed we run 4000 rpm engine speed so I know the dixie has a high blade speed. And as far as the scag goes a good friend of mine has a lawn care company and we help each other out and the scag has a great cut also and it will run 12mph. I think these are both great mowers.

Engine RPM has nothing to do with blade speed. Pully size is the big factor. Increase pully size, increase blade speed exponentially. However, larger pullies mean you need more power to spin them.

SouthernDelight
07-12-2009, 03:53 AM
ALSO...Adding this little tidbit......wright, yazoo, exmark and a couple others are more popular in the north. Dont know why. Im sure these are fine mowers, but opinions are swayed by machines that are used most in a certain area, i.e. more familiar with same. While my opinion is that Deere 757, 777, 797 and 997 are some of the finest mowers ever made along with Hustler Super Z and Dixie Chopper a close second, the fact remains that personal preference will always prevail on an individual basis.

kmzlawncare
07-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Engine RPM has nothing to do with blade speed. Pully size is the big factor. Increase pully size, increase blade speed exponentially. However, larger pullies mean you need more power to spin them.

Well Im sure dixie choppers have enough hp with 40hp kohler on a 74" xcaliber I would say that's enough for some very fast blade speed.

budman163
07-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Gravely 148i M XDZ........23 hp Kawasaki and 48" cut

Powerws
08-14-2009, 10:22 PM
I need to buy a mower tomorrow or within the next week. I heard that the Scag went away from their cast deck and went to steel. I heard the Walker still uses a cast deck. Any feedback on this issue? From what I have gathered the cast deck is the best and strongest!:weightlifter:

John deer Z
09-03-2009, 10:13 PM
John Deere!!!!!

X 2 :usflag::cool2::waving:

demhustler
09-27-2009, 10:53 PM
other thread pretty similar:

of 60'': scag, Exmarks25m28hp, Grasshopper(front)watercool 21cc pumps, toro diesel, hustlers

Scag 1997/1998 - was worst mower ever - handling not that good and been in the shop more then on the field (but mey be they got better since 2000)

toro diesel - ok, small annoying hydraulic problems, exmark most tuff built, hustlers
(superz) fast, sweet and falling apart : )))) - dem lambo (love/hate)

would recommend : exmark (4 everybody) & hustler (4 yourself)

demhustler
09-27-2009, 10:54 PM
speed & quality of cut: cut on 15 mph same as cut on 12 mph (or 10 mph on this matter) - all depends on grass/surface conditions (10, 15 - same thing - you have to slow down when you have to)

speed itself - 15mph and 10mph difference can be compared as difference between very old rider or walkbehind w.sulky (8mph) and exmark 12mph
see 4 yourself

in my experience - basically all new mowers with newer deck design accommodating their speed are making good cut - again all depends on ground conditions - slow down if necessary

btw. since manufacturers use same engines, pumps, wheelmotors - mowers of same characteristics pretty close too - major difference makes service - how long it would take to get/replace part (how long it would be out of field )

p.s. Ferris with suspension should be good - but just 12mph...- with IS they could be not that slow... : )))

demhustler
09-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmzlawncare

stock -3600; blades rpm & tip fpm speed increased accordingly, 11%

KM, how it's goes ok? 10-15% -pretty much safe? (...if anything goes wrong - they'll blame You)

XLS
10-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Walker hands down and my closest parts dealer is 60 miles away and sucks as* but walker units sell theirselves i own 8 .

i read they are good on manicured turf which is the manufacturing companys idea too but i promise they hold up just fine making a 2 week cut with heavy fertilize and a week of rain i have seen the guys pull 32 dumps per acre off lawns and you guy know what..... they still looked perfect .
this post isnt one sided i own 72" ferris 5000z 60" gravley's 50" cub cadet ztr and seveal walks ,pushmowers and yes even a 30" ztr unit

meyere60
02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
dang alot of you all like exmark. i prefer SCAG all the way. the spindles suck on exmark, the decks are thin, just my opion especially the walk behinds.