PDA

View Full Version : What blades do you buy???

Plant Buyer 83
07-30-2007, 08:24 PM
What blades does everybody use??

Are the "premium" & "ultra supreme" blades worth the extra $$ or is the plane old general purpose blade just fine.

I recently started working for a large landscape company and do the purchasing for the company and before I started they had been buying the regular old all purpose blades. Now I have to buy them so I'm, wondering do I stick with them or go all out and get the best blade they have or somewhere in between??

Application: pavers, blue stone, concrete, etc.

Thanks

carcrz
07-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Oregon Hi-lifts & Gator Blades

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Oregon Hi-lifts & Gator Blades

Yep for a mower! He is asking about diamond blades for cutting stone etc. I can't advise for the top dollar blades. I buy the $100 cheapies and they work just fine for me.

Grn Mtn
07-30-2007, 09:00 PM
good question, I've wondered that myself. I have been using the ones United Rental sells for $100-$150, Wet only 10" segmented for my MK1080. I get okay milage out of it, say 3-4 jobs worth (mine designs tend to require many cuts)

carcrz
07-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Yep for a mower! He is asking about diamond blades for cutting stone etc. I can't advise for the top dollar blades. I buy the $100 cheapies and they work just fine for me.

Oops. Sorry :drinkup:

zedosix
07-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Pay the extra and they will last very long. I buy my 14" diamond blades for 400 a pop.

Mike33
07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Every one is going to laugh, but here goes. I bought mine from my local rental store in 02 for 165.00. I just replaced it last year and the price was the same. I only cut with this saw caps on my walls and i have built a ton of walls. Also im the only one using it. I told my guy at the rental store the mileage i got from it and he said there blades was quality, ill second that. Funny thing is i get these damn tell-marketers calling me wanting to sell me 3 blades at one time, hell at that rate i"ll be retired before im on the third blade.
Mike

Grn Mtn
07-30-2007, 09:51 PM
cutting curves seems to really kill the diamond grit fast.

ChampionLS
07-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Alright! Paver Class is now in Session. :cool2:

Here are some facts you should know about Diamond blades:

Diamond blades are specially designed to cut through specific materials. They are also designed to be used Wet, Dry or a combination of both. The cost associated with diamond blades are the amount of actual diamond content. A more expensive blade WILL last longer and cut faster if used properly and used to cut only the material is was intended for.

Types of Diamond blades :

Soft Bond - The Diamond segments of the blade are made up of a soft steel matrix that wears away quickly, exposing new diamonds as it cuts. This is meant to cut HARD concrete, Concrete pavers, Concrete with Rebar, Granite etc.

Hard Bond - The Diamond segments of the blade are made up of a hard steel matrix that wears away slowly, exposing new diamonds as it cuts. This is meant to cut SOFT concrete, Green concrete, Wall block, Clay brick, Bluestone and Limestone.

Anything you intend to cut that's over 6000 PSI compressive strength is considered a hard material. (Concrete pavers are between 9000 and 12000!) You should almost always use a Soft Bond blade for cutting Pavingstones. Cutting retaining wall blocks or caps really won't hurt the blade, because most are on table saws, and you have adequate water to flush the fines away. Never use a blade intended for wet use dry. Alternatively, you can use a dry blade wet if needed.

Now get to work! :drinkup:

twj721
07-31-2007, 12:18 AM
Oregon low-lifts & Gator Blades

paponte
08-05-2007, 10:09 AM
We have been buying from Diamond Blade warehouse for some time now. They always work up a package for us with 10" and 14" blades and almost always get them to us within 2 business days and they eat the shipping. I can't give a specific price atm, but I know they are a hell of alot cheaper than local prices. I really can't tell a difference between the local blades and DBWH, besides the cost. If someone tells me to spend $400 on a specific named blade and swears by it, I would definitely try them. I can't sit here and say there's an "almighty" blade that will last a season, I find it depends on the job and material. Intricate cuts where you use the sides of the blade tend to really wear it out fast.

Plant Buyer 83
08-05-2007, 10:21 AM
I am wearing my Diamond Blade warehouse shirt right now. I have been happy

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I use blades from World Diamond Source.

Anyone here have have their blade rep stop in and take them to lunch? Thats how serious World Diamond Source is about customer service / relations.

Anyhow - we use 14" turbo segmented blades.

they last a long long time.

Cost about $225 each (american dollars)

Plant Buyer 83
08-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Opp's I have a World Diamond Source shirt on (they sent me 3 with me last order). But I have both reps calling me all the time. They always say "I want to be your blade guy". My World Diamond Source rep said he was going to stop by next month so i'll let you know if I get a lunch out of it.

ChampionLS
08-05-2007, 11:42 AM
It has nothing to do with price, free tee shirts, fancy labels or any of that B/S. You need to buy a blade based upon the material your cutting. The only thing that will affect price is how much diamond content is in the segments. More diamonds=longer life.

Plant Buyer 83
08-05-2007, 03:05 PM
It has nothing to do with price, free tee shirts, fancy labels or any of that B/S. You need to buy a blade based upon the material your cutting. The only thing that will affect price is how much diamond content is in the segments. More diamonds=longer life.

I surely hope you don't think i would buy from a vendor because he has a fancy label or gives me free shirts. Before this job when I worked in the field everyday, I just used the blade's I was given. But now since I am the one buying the blades I was simply wondering what everyones opinion was on spending the extra $$ on the better blade. As you said in your earlier post you think it is worth spending the extra money which I appreciate your thoughts. I buy the general purpose blades and the asphalt blades and am lucky if the workers change them at all. And the all purpose blades have a wide price range so I might start buying a few better blades and try to compare.

jonlavonne
08-05-2007, 06:40 PM
We used to use MK blades and tried World D. Source 14" Super GP. They last forever @ 235.00 a piece for 5 I think. Sales rep is Jim Glynn I believe and he only calls when I ask him to. That's worth alot.

Henry
08-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Have any of you actually tracked the linear feet of cutting done with a blade? I buy 10's for around $60 and 14"s around $90 and we get a lot of cuts from each blade.

tthomass
08-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I've got a $60 14" blade on my saw that has lasted me a long time. I've cut bluestone, pavers, asphault, concrete, concrete + rebar and stones with it and its still here.

For $60, I'll just stick with it.

ChampionLS
08-05-2007, 09:56 PM
We changed the factory 14" blade on our saw back in 1997 and replaced it with a $300 14" TECC blade. It's probably cut 1500 L.F. of pavers to date. They'll last a long time, especially if you use adequate water for cooling.

Henry
08-05-2007, 10:48 PM
You've had the same blade on there for 10 years?

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2007, 10:54 PM
A junk blade is a junk blade.

A good blade is a good blade.

This goes for ANYTHING in life!

But for me as a business owner - customer service and client relations are VERY important.

If I have a guy in CO that wants to sell me blades and a guy in FL that wants to sell me blades - BUT takes the time to meet me face to face - I'm gonna give him my business. It really says alot.

I mean, someone selling junk WILL NOT want to meet their customers face to face - as their customers would rip them new (you know whats), and the visit would be very uncomfortable.