PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper - starter diode?

Medic Man
07-31-2007, 12:46 AM
I have a 2003 DC with a Kohler cv 7455 engine...There is a plug into the wire harness near the starter that started smoking yesterday. Now where it melted I can see some sort of diode or something in there, and it won't start. Well, it will start if you jump across the diode but the starter stays engaged until you quit jumping.

What is this part? The guy I got it from said he had to replace it all the time because it got "hot".

Thanks

John Stiles
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't know if it is a diode.....but a diode generally will be in the charging circuit. If your starter is also the generator[alternator], it could be. But unless the above is true,[starter/generator] it's probably not a diode. It could be a type of fuseable link, ......or if it is a diode it could be put in "reversed". A diode if I remember correctly is like a "one way" valve...it lets current go through in one direction, but not the other; hence it changes "alternating"[AC] current to "direct" [DC] current. So if you have an alternator instead of a generator, you will have diode(s) in the charging circuit somewhere. I hope this helps. ~john P/S a zener diode like I used to have on my old M/Cs usually was mounted in an aluminum plate, for heat dissipation.....was often replaced by a rectifier[with cooling fins], which did the job of regulating voltage[charging].

Bill Kapaun
07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Sure you aren't talking about the starter solenoid?
It would have the Battery+ cable going to one stud and another "heavy" gauge cable going to the starter motor from another stud. There would be a small terminal/with a wire (Blue?) going to it from the "crank" portion of the ignition switch.
There is probably an small Red wire going from the stud with the battery cable, back to the ign. switch. That may have an inline fuse, IS THAT what you are talking about?
IF NOT, what are the colors of the wires to the "device"?

Restrorob
07-31-2007, 03:00 PM
It's my suspicion that you are speaking of the yellow in-line fuse holder, I have no knowledge of a diode on Dixie's.

These Dixie wire harness's are simple because they have no extra bells and whistles.

I would suggest un-plugging the ignition switch.

If the engine doesn't start turning over with the ignition switch un-plugged and the fuse holder wire jumped check the "B" spade on the switch for rust/corrosion and the connector inside the switch plug. Could still be shorted contacts inside the switch even if the spade looks OK.

If the engine starts to turn over with the ignition switch un-plugged and fuse holder wire jumped remove the harness cover and look for a short between the blue start wire and the red main feed wire for the harness.

My guess is the switch !

fixer67
08-01-2007, 12:15 AM
That is a feed diode for the fuel pump and fuel solenoid so they will get power during the start phase. The key switch sends power to the fuel pump and fuel solenoid when in run mode but cuts power to them in start mode. This diode
gives them power during the start phase. It prevents power from flowing back and engaging the starter during run mode. will find a picture of it and post it.

fixer67
08-01-2007, 12:19 AM
This is a screen print from the Dixie web site. The diode being used is not rated higher enough to handle the load.

fixer67
08-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Just one thought. If the diode is put in backwards it will get hot from over load from trying to run the starter. There is a with band on diodes. The white band end will go to the fuel pump and/or fuel solenoid. The end with the white band goes to the starter solenoid.

Bill Kapaun
08-01-2007, 01:48 PM
fixer67-
Excellent explanation-
I'm surprised anybody would use such a round about method to do that, but I guess they save a couple $ on the switch by using a $.25 diode!

Medic Man-Sorry to doubt you:)
If you have a soldering iron, you could probably make up a "diode assembly" by paralleling 2-3 of these diodes Catalog #: 276-1661 about 1/2 down the page.
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=2032058&kw=diode&origkw=diode&sr=1

Restrorob
08-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Medic Man-Sorry to doubt you

Yeah Bill, I boo booed on this one also, I forgot this was EFI. :hammerhead:

My post above applies to non EFI units.....

Good Job fixer !

John Stiles
08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Just one thought. If the diode is put in backwards it will get hot from over load from trying to run the starter. There is a with band on diodes. The white band end will go to the fuel pump and/or fuel solenoid. The end with the white band goes to the starter solenoid.

So which one does the white band go towards?:dizzy:

Bill Kapaun
08-02-2007, 02:01 PM
"The anode of a device is the terminal where current flows in"
The "band" is at the cathode end.

Medic Man
08-03-2007, 04:17 PM
OK, all this knowledge is why I asked the question here....but you guys are way over my head. I'm going to post a pic of this part...Thanks for all the help so far!

Bill Kapaun
08-04-2007, 04:37 PM
MM-
Is this "diode"? on the GREEN wire? If not, what color wire is it on?

fixer67
08-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Maybe this picture will help. By the way Kohler has been using a set up like this for years on there engines.On Kohler engines it is hidden inside the engine harness so you may not even know it is there.

fixer67
08-05-2007, 08:46 PM

John Stiles:

My bad. The last part of that was meant to read "The end without the white goes to the starter solenoid"
May I should have just said" the other end"
Sorry about that. I some how miss placed the "out"

John Stiles
08-06-2007, 01:39 AM
John Stiles:

My bad. The last part of that was meant to read "The end without the white goes to the starter solenoid"
May I should have just said" the other end"
Sorry about that. I some how miss placed the "out"

I looked like this:dizzy: ~john:laugh: [That's a cool diagram, by the way:clapping: ]