PDA

View Full Version : How long...

TXNSLighting
07-31-2007, 09:33 AM
did it take for you to get your first lighting job? How long did it take to really get things rolling? Started my company 6-8 weeks ago, and starting 4th job tomorow. and its a pretty big one. Should start a nice chain reaction. customer has lots of lawyer and doctor friends, that usually do whatever this customer does. So hopefully this will get everything rollin.

Thanks!

ok4me2xlr8
07-31-2007, 10:50 AM
first job the day i started. to get things rollin i have the chain reaction thing going on myself.

David Gretzmier
08-01-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm still trying to get the ball rolling. I think in this biz you REALLY have to market yourself. I met with a guy who does 20-40 g's a month last weekend, he still does lots of direct mail. I may have to get into that cycle of spend 5 grand to make 30 grand.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-01-2007, 02:30 AM
I started out slowly... by design. For a year and a half I worked evenings and weekends on lighting. I got a break with a big job on a tight installation schedule for a guy who was afraid of the dark (Scotophobia) and was having his wedding outdoors in two weeks time. He paid up front for the system
($35K) and told me to quit my day job. I did. His wedding introduced my lighting designs to many prospects and I got my second big job the following week.... The rest has been history as they say, with one job generally leading to a couple of more through referrals.

Marketing all depends on your market and your goals.... I have always maintained that working for the top 2% of the market is the most fun and profitable. It doesnt matter where you live or work.... that top 2% still exists, and heck, someone has to cater to their needs!

Good Luck.

TXNSLighting
08-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Well good to hear, i definately havent spent to much on advertising, cuz i know this business runs off refferals. But weve got a pretty big fix job today or tomoro, (depending on when the lights i ordered get here) and that should hopefully be the chain reaction im hoping for. Im a vey patien person, and i have already built another business, i know i can do this one. And theres not alot of competition here, so theres a mrket, ive just got to get the name out there better. i want to do direct mailers, but still dont know how to do it. im going to get a couple guys to do door hangers soon. so well see how that works.

TXNSLighting
08-01-2007, 09:45 AM
weve already spent about 7k for this biz, so im not turnig my back on it. and i definately feel this is a business where yo have to spend 10 grand to make 30 or 40. so well see. ive already done four systems. so i want that to be 10-20 by the end of the year.

klkanders
08-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Nightscapes in Texas! Where have I heard that before? Is Texas big enuf? :)

TXNSLighting
08-01-2007, 03:50 PM
theres a few miles from border to border...

Chris J
08-01-2007, 10:27 PM
You boys with the "Nightscapes" in your company name better watch your back. Rumor has it that Nightscaping is out to get anyone who is using their name or any variation thereof. Don't know what it's going to take for you to fight it, but I'd be willing to bet that if you do have to fight it you'll run out of money before they will.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Chris is right.... Two years ago a guy opened up here under the name Nightscape Landscape Lighting. Bill Locklin had his lawyers send out a cease and desist letter pretty darned quickly. Can't blame the guy.... he is the inventor of this whole industry and has been operating as Nightscaping for 50 years or so.

What is in a name? just about everything!

TXNSLighting
08-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Well just completed another job! did 18 lights. looks very nice! and didnt use any well lights ha! ill get some pictures tonight, if they turn out good...

TPnTX
08-11-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm getting ready to do my first lighting job. I did a Landscape job last year and this year he's added a pool.

So he asked me to do landscape, outdoor kitchen, fire pit and LV lighting. It's my first outdoor kitchen job too.

I took a Cast siminar/class last year. So I have little/no experience but I'll figure it out and do it right. A local distributor has a demo kit that includes a transformer and an abundance of fixtures. I'm going to design it using this kit.

Also I just did a backyard landscape for a nice couple in Plano recently. They asked me about LV lighting and pricing. When I told them a ballpark average price, they were surprised.

With new landscape and ornatmental steel that I installed, I described what I could do with LV lighting. They called back and said they would be fine with the price that I estimated and want me to do a demo.

So this kit may come in handy. Is this a typical approach? demo-ing with your own equipment.

Hey Ryan, I'm in DFW too. If you ever need steel work, give me a call. I do steel fence, patio railings, gates etc...

tom

TXNSLighting
08-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Ill definately give you a call if i ever need anything. And i do demos. good way to sell the product.

TPnTX
08-11-2007, 05:50 PM
alright!

Tom @ 972.415.3703