PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Mulch

Sunrise 154
07-31-2007, 10:10 AM
We just started selling this stuff and I cant believe the response. This stuff is super expensive but most of the people don't seem to care to much when you explain them the benefits of using it in their playgrounds.

Anyone else selling it?

Travel'n Trees
08-01-2007, 12:29 AM
This is what the fourth or fifth time out. It fades and gets chalky, and hard to get rid of. We sold it before, alot of headaches and upset customers.

Sunrise 154
08-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks TNT

I never thought to do a search. Looks to me almost everyone has a different opinion. I saw this stuff a few years ago 2005 at a trade show. I ordered a pallet of it to put in my display in the front of my mulch yard. I also used some of it in the play-set at my brothers house to see if his kids could destroy it. I also used it to make a small walkway from my patio to my shed.

Now it has been 2 years since I put all of this down and my results are

1. I have had to mulch 8 times as much with organic mulch in the past 2 seasons at my yard.

2. If anyones kids could destroy this stuff it would be his. He lives in a very woody area and when his landscapers come to do the leaves they use a backpack with the throttle low and have never had any problems. My nephew even ate a piece in 2006 but he passed it in a day. (It is also 99.9% steel free)

3. The walkway was a challenge because it was on a flat surface so it kept on getting kicked around. But all I did was border it on both sides with some 4-6 inch river-stone and my problem was solved.

So that leads me to 2007. I had numerous calls about it and so I decided to sell it. I do not recommend it for annual beds. But I do sell it to a few people for hedgerows and perennials beds. But mostly we sell it to homeowners, municipalities, and private schools for their playgrounds.

It now comes in 30lb bags and if you are looking for better pricing it comes in 2000lb super sacks. I am a dealer in my area and can drop-ship pretty much anywhere in the U.S.

weeble67
08-01-2007, 12:21 PM
So does this transfer any color to the kids, or retain enough heat to worry about when used in a playground area?

Travel'n Trees
08-02-2007, 03:53 AM
yes. In my experience.

GLLawns
08-02-2007, 05:19 PM
So does this transfer any color to the kids, or retain enough heat to worry about when used in a playground area?

Yes and yes, both of my kids would come home filthy black from it. I also noticed while walking through the playground with my sandles on that it was pretty hot on my feet. Almost forgot to mention that it was always stuck in their shoes, pants, and underwear. Lets just say that the daycare had lots of pissed off parents after they put it down.

Sunrise 154
08-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I dont think it sticks to clothes any more than an organic mulch.

Kids will be kids if the are having fun with mulch in their uderwear let it go.

I have not had one complaint about it being dirty. I am sure if you are buying the raw product it is gonna be dirty.

The company I sell PLAYSAFER is geared for playgrounds and schools. It is 99.9% steel free and the color is baked on.

It also exceeds ASTM standards and is IPEMA certified.

It may be a little warm but when have any of you sent any of your kids to the playground with no shoes.

poolboy
08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
http://950kprc.com/pages/listenernewsletter/GardenTalk_03-09-06.htm

bobcat52
11-06-2007, 02:01 PM
man last time my kids played in the rubber mulch they reeked like goat

Stuttering Stan
11-29-2007, 08:26 PM
When it rains hard, rubber mulch floats. My fulltime job installed it in their beds and within a year, 50% of it floated into the parking lot.

2muchmulch4u
03-11-2008, 09:22 AM
When it rains hard 3/4" stone also floats. I could see that being an argument if when it was drizzling it was running down the driveway. I can see how rubber mulch scares some landscape pro's. We sell a bunch to local schools and daycares and they rave about it. As long as it is prepped right and is contained there should be no problem.

Also the biggest problem of it disappearing is people takeing samples home in their pockets.

Marcos
03-11-2008, 02:50 PM
When it rains hard, rubber mulch floats. My fulltime job installed it in their beds and within a year, 50% of it floated into the parking lot.

...no more or less than hardwood nuggets do.

I've been using rubber mulch now for about 5-6 years in my business, for customers who request it during the initial site visits.

About the only situation I've found that's been a problem, that someone mentioned already, is in and around annual flowers.

My kids go to a nearby Township playground all the time, that has all rubber mulch...and they never come back "black" like some people on here described.

Could be GL Lawns could be talking about a rubber that was processed with less stringent quality guidelines than the 'standard' of rubber mulch currently on the market, or is not of good solid physical structure because of otherwise inferior technology.