PDA

View Full Version : Why tall fescue over kentucky blue?

MrC
07-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Based on my previous post and searching the forum I've found that many members prefer tall fescue over kentucky blue. I was thinking of overseeding with 3-D from Summit, but now I'm not sure. Why one over the other?

carcrz
07-31-2007, 09:51 PM
drought tolerance of fescue.

Smallaxe
08-03-2007, 07:27 AM
In this part of the country we use creeping red in the shady mixes.

MrC
08-03-2007, 03:27 PM
According to what I've read about bluegrass, there are a number of them that extremely drought resistant.

I was hoping to double aerate to change my lawn from a fescue, ryegrass, & bluegrass mix to a straight bluegrass mix like 3-D.

gene gls
08-03-2007, 09:40 PM
According to what I've read about bluegrass, there are a number of them that extremely drought resistant.

I was hoping to double aerate to change my lawn from a fescue, ryegrass, & bluegrass mix to a straight bluegrass mix like 3-D.

Bluegrass is high maintaince, water, fert, just the right sun, light, air flow to prevent mold.

MrC
08-04-2007, 09:15 AM
The 3-D grass mix seems to counter thoughs traits.
http://www.summitseed.com/3dsod.asp

mdlwn1
08-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Turf type tall fescue has much more color and will resemble bluegrass in moderate shade. It will also do a little better in those areas that seem to die off every year where the ground is very dense. It WILL get brown patch......... Ph is also less critcal. Once you get below 6.0 with blue, you can get into trouble. I almost always use a mix of (good quality) tall fescue and rye when I seed in the fall.

mdlwn1
08-04-2007, 12:44 PM
You never want 1 variety...........Certain diseases will affect some grasses and not others. Also...if you have blue in your lawn now, it will still be the dominant grass in the sun.....so long as you don't have bent or fine fescue.

MrC
08-04-2007, 03:33 PM
So what mix would you recommend for my lawn?

LawnSolutionsCP
08-06-2007, 08:33 PM
My lawn is Turf Type Tall Fescue. Check it out on our homepage.

Blue grass is a little softer, but requires much more maintenance. TTTF is a medium blade grass w/ great color. My lawn does not have irrigation and I don't water during the summer (even during this drought).

mdlwn1
08-07-2007, 07:35 AM
MRC......without a pic...it's hard to say. I can tell you that when you double aerate....only count on the seed growing in the holes. With that being said, using several varieties wil be a waste of seed. You might want to try 80/20 Fescue/rye...70/30...or just straight fescue. Again, without standing on your lawn..it's just a guess.