PDA

View Full Version : Driveway re-level quote

PlatinumLandCon
07-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been approached by a friend who's 8 year old interlock driveway is starting to sag in the tire tracks and starting to look bad. The same company did 27 of the 81 houses on his street within a year of the houses being built. Now they're all looking bad.

Basically its a 25x40 driveway with a walkway coming off it. I'm guessing since the driveway is so new, the base is crap meaning i'll have to go down a good 8" and correct it. My question is, should i replace the base material or re-compact what's already there? Also, what do you guys quote for a 1000sq ft driveway?

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

Edgewater
08-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Re level work is not cheap. It is more work than a new install due to lifting the pavers, cleaning them off and stacking them.

Figure how long it will take, and price based on man hours. If you re-compact, figure it will take 3 men about 2-2.5 days depending on how good they are at the base prep part.

andrewcarrigan
08-01-2007, 12:50 PM
here i alberta we would charge somewhere around 22,000-25000 for a job like that for new bricks and to redo using old pavers carge another 1500 this pricing is edmonon

neversatisfiedj
08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a nightmare.

PlatinumLandCon
08-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Hello everyone,
I visited the site and the area that the cars park on is only about 20'x25'. The rest of the area is either the walkway or seperated by the sidewalk. I'm going to only do this area. What do you think base material will cost for this area if i go the full 10" deep? I was thinking $10/sq foot plus materials to price it. Does this seem like a reasonable price? Too low? Too high?

Thanks.

TLS
08-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Couldn't you just lift old damaged section and sand, add screenings/modified in low areas, re-tamp VERY WELL, sand and lay back down? The areas where it settled will not likely settle much more.

If you can figure out a reasonably quick/inexpensive way to fix, you could be in for a good bit of work in this neighborhood!

I guess you cant simply re-tamp the high areas with the pavers where they are?

PlatinumLandCon
08-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Couldn't you just lift old damaged section and sand, add screenings/modified in low areas, re-tamp VERY WELL, sand and lay back down? The areas where it settled will not likely settle much more.

I don't kno if this is an option. It is tru that the settled areas won't setle much more. I'll have to remove a few bricks and see how the base is.

I guess you cant simply re-tamp the high areas with the pavers where they are?

Not possible. This will just make the driveway too low.

Grn Mtn
08-01-2007, 10:24 PM
musclecar have you done this before?

the easy way is to just lift the low parts and add a little more sand - I am assuming its only rutted about 1".

its rutting most likely because not enough base was used, I would use 14" depending on the soil, more if clay.

if your talking 2, 40' long tire tracks 1' wide get a yard of sand and spend 8 hours with 2 guys fixing it - $1000.

PlatinumLandCon
08-01-2007, 10:28 PM
musclecar have you done this before?

the easy way is to just lift the low parts and add a little more sand - I am assuming its only rutted about 1".

its rutting most likely because not enough base was used, I would use 14" depending on the soil, more if clay.

if your talking 2, 40' long tire tracks 1' wide get a yard of sand and spend 8 hours with 2 guys fixing it - $1000.

That's what has been suggested but do you thing this will have long term durability?

What I was thinking is remove the bricks, remove the sand and 1-2" of gravel, add gravel back level again, use geo fabric (suggestions? should i do this??), add 1" sand, re-lay bricks, compact, joint sand, finish.

Sound good?

MassSteelerfan
08-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey new to this sight. Hello everyone. Just wanted to say that I have done this before and as others here have stated, its more of a headache than actually starting from scratch. And even if you think you've done enough to sure it up, unless you really to the bottom of the base and essentially start from scratch all over there is always the chance it may happen again. And guess what now his is pissed at you. My own opinion, I would say thank you for giving me the work, but no thanks.

Grn Mtn
08-01-2007, 10:41 PM
no, and no.

as mentioned by someone earlier, the base is bad (at least that should be the problem) and really needs to be ripped up and re-done. $$$$$

the band-aid fix should do it for maybe 3-5 years, hard to say without seeing it. but its the route I would suggest.

don't worry about fabric.

MassSteelerfan
08-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I usually don't try to talk people out of making money, but this is not worth the money believe me. Unless you account for it in you quote. but I'm sure the customer is looking for a cheap fix.

PlatinumLandCon
08-01-2007, 10:51 PM
what would you charge per square foot to rip up the base and re-do? I've done interlocking before but not for money (volunteered help for relatives).

MassSteelerfan
08-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Add 25% to a new install

Grn Mtn
08-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I try to avoid quoting per square foot, every job is different, ie distance from materials to patio, rocks in soil, clay sand, customers standing over your shoulder, removal of materials, etc.

you need to estimate your time to pick up and stack and remember the pattern take close-up pictures. Skidsteer rental to remove the base and pile on..? street, lawn? removal of excess dirt because base not deep enough, trucking in of more base, you get the idea. $3000-$7000 depending on how much time and material.

Grn Mtn
08-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Add 25% to a new install

that makes no sense, the material is allready on site and paid for (pavers at least) granted its a pita, but its all labor at this point.

PlatinumLandCon
08-01-2007, 11:09 PM
I was thinking around $4.5-5 for the whole thing if the base material is deep enough. Maybe $5.5-7 depending on how much base needs to be added. Would you remove the existing base and pile it up and re-use?

Grn Mtn
08-01-2007, 11:13 PM
absolutely re-use it.

MassSteelerfan
08-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Youre right grn mtn. sorry. but to be honest I was even grasping at what to charge because there really isn't a reasonable price with the headache that it is.

PlatinumLandCon
08-01-2007, 11:19 PM
the sweet thing is, I won't be doing anything but operating the skid. I have $10/hour people that I'll use:)

MassSteelerfan
08-01-2007, 11:24 PM
That makes me feel confident in your work.:dizzy:

PlatinumLandCon
08-01-2007, 11:29 PM
That makes me feel confident in your work.:dizzy:

To begin with, its more than they'd get paid anywhere else. Anyone under 18 can't really get a job for more than $8/hour. And they're my friends that are all hardworking and don't mind working for me. (I'm 16 BTW)

MassSteelerfan
08-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Glad to hear you and your friends are hard working. Just trying to give you some advice, and hope you are fully insured because if you do have problems with this job the fact that this is your friend goes right out the window. Have had it happen to me, just trying to give a heads up. good luck

PlatinumLandCon
08-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Glad to hear you and your friends are hard working. Just trying to give you some advice, and hope you are fully insured because if you do have problems with this job the fact that this is your friend goes right out the window. Have had it happen to me, just trying to give a heads up. good luck

I actually have a meeting tomorrow to get my insurance in order. What types of insurace should I have for this kind of work?

MassSteelerfan
08-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Business Liability

MassSteelerfan
08-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Business Liability, workers comp

PlatinumLandCon
08-02-2007, 12:41 AM
cool. Will do tomorrow.