PDA

View Full Version : Starter dead on Turf Tracer

LawnBoy89
08-01-2007, 12:05 AM
In a recent post I explained how I picked up a turf tracer. At first I thought the battery didn't have much left due to the fact that it wouldn't turn the motor fast when you tried to start it but now I think it's the starter because I was trying to crank if over but since the starter doesn't turn the motor very fast it woudlnt start until eventually it would just make a clicking noise any time I turned the key. I tried putting the battery on the charger and jumping it neither worked so I came to the conclusion it is the starter I checked the fuses it makes a clicking noise not sure if its coming from the starter I tried listening as best I could do you guys know of anything else I should check before I replace the starter? Thanks alot you guys are always a help.

Bill Kapaun
08-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't know what engine you have, but some engines have an automatic compression release. If the valves aren't adjusted properly, the ACR doesn't work.
You might also try removing the spark plug(s) (ground wire ends) and see if the engine spins then. Cylinder(s) could possibly be full of gas from a bad carb. You don't want any sparks if this is the case.

John Stiles
08-01-2007, 04:42 PM
If you are talking about a tractor or self propelled machine, you might make sure the blades are dis-engaged. If they are not, you will hear a click every time you hit the starter, but it should not turn. I once was flagged down by a lady who's car wouldn't start. "Can you give me a jump start?" she asked as I approached...Yesmaam, I said, and I jumped in the drivers seat and threw it into PARK and it fired right up....I cautioned her to never talk to strangers.~john

Restrorob
08-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I have people bring starters in all the time wanting a new one. I bench test them and find all they need is a tear-down clean and re-lube. Some may need a set of brushes but mostly just clean/lube does the trick.

You may want to try that if it's spinning slow before shelling out for a new one.