PDA

View Full Version : 200 Series Deere

rcreech
08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I posted on here the other day that I am looking at buying a used JD Skid.

Thanks for all your help guys! You have really calmed my nerves.

I have one more question...in looking a the 8 skids that are at the sale there are only 2 Series II units.

Would it be bad if I got a 240 or 250 that wasn't a series II?

I want to get one...but don't want to make a bad decision.

Most of these machines are under 1000 hours if that means much.

THANKS!

cat2
08-01-2007, 11:41 AM
No I would not buy it if it wasn't a series II. But that's just me

Fieldman12
08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
The 200 Series came out in 1999. I would not buy a 99 or 2000 but that was so long ago that what ever needed fixed has already been fixed. They had allot of issues with the electrical panel and some had hydraulic issues. Like I said though that was a long time ago. Wish I had the SN list in front of me to tell you what years to avoid. If you call JD they will give you a SN list that shows what year the machine was made. There is a bunch of the early ones around here that are the early 200 series with no issues. The Series II just brings a little more money and was known to have the majority of the issues with the first ones that cam out fixed. Like I said this is an old machine what ever was going to fall apart has done it by now.

ksss
08-01-2007, 07:02 PM
My opinion would be to pass on it. They don't resale well and I am sure that not all of the updates were able to be field installed and were only made available on the newer machines. I would go home with nothing before bringing one of those machines home (I am refering to the 1st series machines).

JDSKIDSTEER
08-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I know where you can get a 2005 317 with around 1100 hrs for $15,900.00. PM me if you want the mans number......good machine. May have to drive south.

accurate machinery
08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
I have bought and sold about 80 200 series JD skid steer loaders. I post a lot of information on my website www.accuratemachinery.com about how I inspect skid steer loaders before I purchase them for my business. I posted some detailed pictures of some of the trouble areas that I have encountered. You might find it usefull. A quick note about the 200 series, make sure that the parking brake works, if it doesn't, it is a very expensive repair!

rcreech
08-01-2007, 09:54 PM
THANKS EVERYONE!

GREAT INFO AND ADVICE!

This site is so helpful!

dug1016
08-01-2007, 11:30 PM
All the current units are made in Dubuque, Iowa. I would stay away from any serial number that starts with KN, which was the old factory with inexperienced workers. The T0 Prefix units (Series II, typically after 2001) were Dubuque assembled units (assembled next to the backhoes and dozers) with input and suggestions from UAW workers who have longed worked on Deere products.

philsbs
08-01-2007, 11:57 PM
I would not be affraid of an older 250. Deere has done a pretty good job with the updates. I bought a 1999 rental return with 500 hrs a few years back. I was told to check for updates. Went to the local dealer with the serial# and he said some needed to be done and ordered the parts. When I took it in to have them done they had a whole table of parts to put in it. Complete steering system, hydraulic lines, wiring, etc. free of charge and the skid was over three years old. I now have almost 2000 hrs on it and the only problem was a hydraulic line. It has moved many tons of concrete and lots of dirt so its definitely not babied. I also have put on quite a few hours with the harley rake and it works great. No excessive side sway and no slop in boom bushings (I do keep them greased).

grassmanvt
08-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I had a 240 and as mentioned by someone else, had trouble with a leak in the parking brake area. I had the fortune of buying it reasonable because of that though. Other than that, awesome little machine, I thought the hydraulic power was outstanding for what was supposed to be a small machine. Impressed the heck out of me, I think it was very under rated lift wise on the spec sheet.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-05-2007, 08:00 AM
How did the sale go? We had a sale her yesterday and I sold a Bobcat brand trencher and Broom. Did not do great, but got rid of a couple wore out attachments. May break even after sellers premium.

rcreech
08-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Came home empty handed...but the sale went good.

Out of 8 JD skids only 2 of them were Series II.

The Series II models were low houred machines, but were not care for, so I didn't even bid on them.

The Deeres were going for about 12,000, the Bobcats were going for about 13-14,000 and there was a 226B Cat with 1,690 hours and a sweet machine that went for 11,700.

I missed out on that one I think!

Bobcats were very nice and tight and low hours. The JD's seemed bulkier to me and overall a little loose. Is this typical?

I found a local rental store with 4-JD240's and they have had the updates and they have not had any problems with them. I may look at them...is that stupid if I feel good about them. I talked to their JD dealer and he said they are good mahcines. They have between 1500-1700 hrs.

accurate machinery
08-05-2007, 04:53 PM
I buy a lot of rental machines, I have learned a couple of things I'll share with you.
Rental units usually get cosmetically rough quickly, I can see a contractor saying " use the rental in the rock pile". The contractor isn't usually to concerned about the scrapes and abrasions of the rental unit.
The maintenance of the rental unit is usually better than average. There is usually a person in charge of making sure the rental fleet is serviced on time and with a frequent circulation though the shop the greasing and oil changes get done more often than not.
The other benefit of the rental unit is that when there is a catastrophic failure usually the engine, pump, loader arm or what ever the piece is that failed, it just gets replaced with new. (sometimes at the expense of the renter or his insurance).
Many rental units have foam filled tires with miss matched tires and wheels. I hate foam filled tires because of the ride and the added expense of replacing the tire. (tire shops charge between $30. and $50. per wheel to cut off the foam filled tire.
I almost never buy the Sunbelt machines because of the green paint, they are forever green no matter how good of a paint job they might get, the green always comes back.
You mentioned that the JD units seemed bulkier and loose compared to the Bobcats. Remember to compare apples to apples, vertical lift machines will seem bulkier and looser than non vertical lift machines. The advantages of vertical lift are well worth the added linkages and size sacrifices, vertical lift machines have a longer wheel base, adding to the stability on slopes. All of the JD machines are vertical lift, not all of the Bobcats are. New Holland skid steer loaders are all vertical lift machines with a long wheel base as well. If you are working with slopes and lots of lifting and or pallet forks you might want to stick with vertical lift machines. You mentioned the Cat 226B, it is a nice machine however not a vertical lift. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions about the skid steer loader, as a wholesaler I get a lot of them and a few I won't buy again.

rcreech
08-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info.

I looked at your site the night before I went to the sale for things to look at. Nice site!

When I say "loose" I was talking more about the steering and overall machine. But also remember that I don't have much experience with this equipment and would definitly be classified as a ROOKIE.

Would you be scared of a the used DEERE's that are not Series II? I am going and looking at four of them tomorrow at a rental store. They are asking 10,000 but said the price in negotiable. I was going to try and offer them around 9400. Any thoughts would be great. These machines are 240's.

If the machines are sound I guess I could repaint. Whats the costs on repainting and decaling?

accurate machinery
08-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks, I hope my machine stories were helpfull. I can't stress enough about getting the machines up to temperature and running the machines into a pile to test the hydrostatic drives. If you are buying a JD 240 with under 2000 hours for under 10K and the machine is good, then it is a fair deal. Make sure the parking brakes work, both sides, if they don't work then lower the price to $7K, to allow for the repair.
JD parking brakes are tied to the seatbelt switch, seat switch, ignition switch and parking brake switch. When the seatbelt switch gets a little out of wack the brake comes on while you are driving the machine and it gets quickly worn out. Or people (on rental units) start the machine and don't realize that they have to have the seatbelt on so they try to drive the machine with the brake on. Lastly people don't realize they must push the parking switch after the the engine is started then they try to drive with the brake on. The early Deere machines had a steering linkage problem that allowed them to go into full forward or reverse (without driver input) after starting the engine, that wore out the brakes too. It wore out my nerves too, especially unloading a 5' flat deck trailer.The steering recall took care of that but they didn't replace the parking brakes unless it was under warranty.
A quick note about JD s/n. in the last 6 numbers of the s/n. of any JD built up to 2002. if the number starts with a 1 as in 140222, then it is a 1999. If it starts with a 2 as in 240222 it is a 2000 and so on. I think in 2003 the series 2 machines came out with 900000 s/n and I don't know the sequence if there is one.
Personally I would try to hold out for a series 2 for the improvements in parking brakes and steering. Also the JD 250 with 12 X16.5 tires and the Turbo is a better machine, you don't have to rev it as much to get the hp.
Figure for a professional paint job with decals to be in the $1000. range and it won't look good for long. I try to not buy repainted machines, however touched up is ok. You won't touch up a Sunbelt green machine. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Fieldman12
08-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Im assuming when you say the steering is loose your talking about the hand levers. Mine has over 2,000 hours and honestly it feels the same as one of the news ones I have set in. About the only slop they should have is a little side to side in the booms. Matte rof fact when the boom is dwon on the ground and your pushing it is normal to see the boom touch the stops every now and then. Most skid steers at that age where the bucket curls may need to be redone. Should be a easy job and not tha big of a deal. That is one of the highest wear areas on vertical and radial lifts. About all we can tell ya is it dont matter what machine you buy if it was not taken car of then your going to have problems. Test the machine out as much as you can. The guy I bought mine from let me try the machine for a week at no cost.Most guys wont let you do that. He was a little dealer though with over 30 machines of all brands.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Steering may just need a fairly inexpensive repair and adjustments.

accurate machinery
08-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Any luck with the rental 240's?

JDSKIDSTEER
08-08-2007, 12:03 AM
I have been getting 11,900.00 to 12,900.00 for used 240's with 1400 - 1900 hrs. 12,900.00 to 15,900.00 for 250's.