PDA

View Full Version : Antique Gold Travertine Patio - Start to Finish

Humble Earth Mover
08-01-2007, 10:49 AM
This is one of my favorite projects, although I can say I'll never use this type of travertine again. Too soft! I partnered with a friend to do the patio install and designed and installed the landscape myself. We were a little skeptical about the Techo Bloc SRW with the travertine, but it worked out okay. I get more compliments on this job than any other, though I'm sure many may find fault. All in all, fun project, great homeowners, made a ton of dough! Just wanted to share!

Here's a couple before shots and the walls and steps almost done

Humble Earth Mover
08-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Here's the travertine laid and cut in

Humble Earth Mover
08-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Here's the final touches with the softscape

Guzman Properties
08-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Very nice job!!!!

neversatisfiedj
08-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I love it !!!!!! Do you tamp over top of that like concrete pavers ? How much was the travertine material per square ?

KrayzKajun
08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
its beautiful!!

Humble Earth Mover
08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I love it !!!!!! Do you tamp over top of that like concrete pavers ? How much was the travertine material per square ?

Thanks!

We used two sheets of 1/2 inch plywood side by side and tamped on one while the other person moves the other. I've also used peg board the same way. Tamping right on the travertine will cause it to break. Even with the plywood, we broke 5 or 6 big pieces. When estimating this stuff, it's good to figure in for breaks as well as your normal cut loss. Beats setting it by hand.

We paid somewhere in the mid $6 range per sf, but that was through an importer. Supply yards will charge as much as $8 per sf out here.

Other than that, it's the same install process as concrete pavers. I've had good success selling the stuff. I usually sell it as a cheaper alternative to wet laid natural stone, instead of a more expensive option than pavers. This seems to work. Also, if in a development with lots of pavers, I make my selling point that they will stand out from the crowd and cause envy all throughout the land! (Sorry, that last part was pretty g@y!)

G.M.Landscaping
08-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow, very nice!!!!

TLS
08-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Looks REAL good.

Whats going to go on the house foundation? Where the tar paper is between the patio and the siding/chimney?

ChampionLS
08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Very nice job. My question would be, how to avoid scratching it with patio furniture- I see quite a few tables and chairs that have a poor design with the legs. The manufacturers should offer a protective pad or large foot when designing furniture. I have a client that had to replace several decking boards due to a cast aluminum chair leg that gouged it up pretty bad. Hate to see that nice Travertine get messed up.