PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Selection

james mcdonald
08-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Any one using any of following mowers to mow 2 acres at 1 1/2 to 2 inches with minimal scalping, smooth cut(no stringers) and some rough ground (armadillos)? Lots of trees, shrubs and buildings to mow around. Currently mow with Case 444 garden tractor with 44 inch deck and have no problems except slow and tiring. Some of these mowers have larger rear wheels and front castor wheels than others. Does this make that much of a difference?

Possible mowers:
hustler mini z with 19 hp kaw and 52 inch deck.
hustler fast track 48 inch deck
scag freedom z with 48 inch deck
scag freedom z with 52 inch deck
scag tiger cub 48 inch velocity deck (no center anti-scalp wheel)
exmark lazer with 46 inch triton deck

razor1
08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
They all sound good but personally I would get the Exmark, (#1 selling ZTR) they rarely scalp. Be sure to take a test drive before you buy any tractor. Wheel size probably won't matter to much considering you're only cutting 2 acres. Good Luck

Ray Zorback
08-02-2007, 09:57 AM
I have a Freedom Z and am currently mowing at 1 1/2" with minimal scalping and no stringers. I prefer to keep my bermuda at 1" or 1 1/4", but at those heights, I get massive scalping. I personally think the Freedom Z needs more anti-scalp wheels. The discharge side does not have one at all. Even though I am pleased with my Scag, I would recommend a Hustler if scalping is a concern. They come with more anti-scalp wheels. (4 on FasTrak, 6 on Mini Z) I would think for 2 acres the FasTrak would be the way to go for you. It has 4 yrs warranty for homeowners vs. 2 on the Mini Z and is less expensive.