PDA

View Full Version : Chevy S-10?

Mowman
09-05-2001, 09:47 AM
Please don't laugh ! I bought this truck before I started this business. It's a 1998 w/ 2.2 Vortec.w/5 speed. Now that I'm hauling around a trailer and my Walker I'm pushing about 1850#. It does not do the best on hills or in a head wind.
I was told to install a Cat-Back Exhaust system and a Cold Air Intake system and could gain enough HP to put me up with a V-6. Do you think this is true or is someone trying to sell me some parts to pad their cash register? Thanks for your advice.

Mowman

09-05-2001, 06:38 PM
Having never used either, I can't speak from experience but something tells me that the way to be on par with a V-6 is to get a V-6!

Not trying to be a smart you-know-what, just saying that I'd hold off on buying the parts you mentioned. If your engine really is that small (I'll admit I don't know my modern stuff too well - what I DO know is the 4-banger in my '78 Capri is a 2.3! It's mated to a 4-speed and goes pretty good, mind you I don't trailer with it) those parts will give you some extra power but I don't really see it putting you up in the V-6 league.

Is moving up to a larger truck - or an S-10 with the bigger motor - a realistic option for you? If this is going to be a work truck, perhaps that would be a better option.

Just my thoughts!

Island Lawn
09-06-2001, 08:13 PM
78 Capri!!!
Now thats a CLASSIC!!

Can you post pix?

Mowman,
You're probably not going to be able to "bolt on" your way outta this.
Unless you're bolting on a couple of cylinders.

09-06-2001, 09:16 PM
let's see if this works.................... I'm OK with welding/fabricating equipment, get :confused: easily when it comes to computers! (Had to re-scan at a lower resolution to keep file size down to where I could use the "attach file" feature - honest, the actual pic isn't too bad! )

Mowman - a friend of mine has an S-10 with the V-6, and while the engine has plenty of power he has found the manual transmission to be a bit of a weak link for towing, due to the gear ratios.

I think Island Lawn is right - "bolt on" goodies aren't really going to work. I'd say use the truck for now, and check out the option of a different/another truck for work service.

Island Lawn
10-19-2001, 02:58 AM
"Capri in the Mist"

Beautiful.

thelawnguy
10-20-2001, 08:30 AM
The mist is probably just blow-by from a tired 2.3...lol ;)

lawrence stone
10-20-2001, 10:59 AM
It's time to retire the 4 banger for personal use, estimates, road trips (install a cap to make a big trunk).

Go out and buy a used Chevy full size (8ft box) pick-up. Stay away form the 1988s thru 1990 they have issues as they were a new model at that time.

Look for a used c1500 V-6 with air (trucks with air have 3.42 rear ends) from an old man you used it for personal transportation and lovingly cared and maintained the machine.

For less than $5K you can have a real work truck. Add a set of rear overload shocks and a handy ramp gate.

If you are going to be in the biz you will need two trucks anyway.

dhicks
10-22-2001, 10:36 PM
The S-10 was not designed to pull that amount of weight considering the engine. I'd strongly recommend a new full size truck or listen to Stone. Happy motoring!

Mowman
10-25-2001, 09:44 AM
Lawernce,
Thanks for the advice, on the truck. Thanks to everyone that has responded. You are suggesting a Chevy WT 1500 w/ 4.3 V-6 correct? My question is if you feel that is enough power then what do you all think of a Ford F150 with their 4.9EFI Inline 6? That engine is said to be a REAL WORKHORSE and go for a couple 100,000 miles without much except for routine mainteance. Most I've found with that engine have sticks a few autos and all carry a 355 rear end. Do you guy's suggest the 5 speed or could I go to the auto trans?
Thanks again for your suggestions on this truck, as I'd like to make the RIGHT CHOICE this time around.

Mowman

ERIC ROBERGE
10-26-2001, 05:39 AM
If you plan on pulling some weight than a straight 6 cyl is the way to go. Both Chevys and Fords have very dependable time tested straight 6 cyls.
As for auto or standard transmission, it depends on your personal preference and situation. An auto is easier to drive (especially in stop and go traffic) and generally is easier on the drivetrain. However maintanence costs are higher and a rebuilds on some trucks can cost a small fortune.
Standard transmissions are cheaper to maintain and when they need a clutch dont cost as much as a rebuilt auto tranny. They can be abused much easier than autos. And if you are going to have three adults in the front seat can be a pain to shift. But, like I said before, standards are cheaper and are much simpler so less can go wrong with them.
Oh, one other thing. If you get an auto tranny and pull a trailer often remember three things to maintain it.
Get a tranny cooler.
Get a tranny cooler.
Get a tranny cooler.

Heat is the biggist killer of auto trannies.

MikeLT1Z28
11-05-2001, 07:49 AM
the cold air kit probably won't gain any noticable hp. don't get the catback, free flowing exhaust on a smaller motor will reduce the torque by lowering backpressure. torque is what you need.

the ford inline 6 is excellent from everything i hear. i also hear chevy is coming out with or maybe already using a new inline 6 in their's that is quite stout.