PDA

View Full Version : Hustler hand controls

olddog
09-05-2001, 10:37 AM
I've been wondering how the H-bar hand controls work. What happens when you turn and let go of the outside hand? Anyone compared them to new exmark system?

LES
09-05-2001, 07:25 PM
I am an ExMark and Hustler dealer and if I had to choose It would be a hustler walk-behind. The steering bar is one piece all the way across. You roll the bar foreward and backwards for motion and simply push or pull on the left or right side. It feels like a bicycle handle-bar. So you can operate the unit with one hand.:blob3:

Artman
09-06-2001, 09:29 AM
The H-Bar actually can be operated much of the time with just one hand. Many operators like to turn the H-Bar and then release the outside hand when trimming around a tree or performing a zero-degree turn. Another case is when mowing on a steep slope - you can actually hold onto just the down-hill end of the H-Bar.

Someone else will have to address the Exmark question (I might be a little biased).

JLC
09-06-2001, 11:32 AM
They work very well. It is a very natural way to operate equipment. You can operate the machine very easily with one hand. I haven't compared them to the Exmark ECS, but I would think the H-Bar would be easier on you hands than squezing levers all day. Another advantage to the H-bar is will track straight on a side hill with minimal effort. I would think that feathering pistol grips would be tiring if you used it to cut a lot of sidehills.

dhicks
09-14-2001, 11:29 PM
The H-Bar steering is similar to a bike or motorcycle. I can steer with one hand and take a drink with the other. This is one of the main reasons that I first bought my Hustler. I have significant nerve damage in my (R) arm and cannot do pistol grips.

crazygator
09-24-2001, 06:45 PM
The new Exmark controls still operate with a lever you have to squeeze. The Hustler design is awesome. As mentioned all you have to do is roll the grip forward or backward to go in that direction. And like a bicycle or motorcycle, turn the handle bar left or right for that direction. If you havent demo'd a machine with H-Bar controls you will really like them.

captdevo
10-12-2001, 09:33 PM
i ran a Hustler w/b with h-bar today.

Very impressive. i haven't found any other w/b that handles as nice, nor any that were as comfortable to operate. almost no effort whatsoever.

with these controls, i could easily operate all day with no fatigue.

yes, you can operate with one hand for turning, drinking or whatever and still have precise control over the machine.

Dave

Flex-Deck
10-25-2001, 12:08 AM
I have never operated a WB, but at the BBQ I had the opportunity to try some, and the Hustler H bar was soooo user friendly I can not imagine any other machine being even close.

olddog
10-25-2001, 01:30 PM
There is a new dealer in my area (still 1 hr plus) and I went and "drove" a 48" WB around the parking lot. It is very easy to operate but you know how it is with old dogs ... I forgot which way to turn the bar a couple of times, but I think a little pratice might make perfect - well at least good. Nice machine. That parking brake looks like something from an old horse drawn impliment, very heavy duty; who said the don't make them like they used to! Thank's all for your responses.

brucec32
02-07-2003, 03:10 AM
I gotta try one of these out. One handed steering means I can now save 15 minutes of lunch time and eat while I mow! : )
So what if my ham sandwich ends up with a little more "fiber" in it?

I've heard little but raves about this mower. To the extent that I may now only buy the Hustler wb and onlyl use my Lazer for really wide open lawns.