PDA

View Full Version : What wrong with this grass?

Fishboat
08-01-2007, 08:24 PM
The lawn is in SE Wisconsin & the troubled area is at the base of a septic mound. The septic drainfield is fine & the grass-dirt is dry. This area does dry out slowly in the spring due to a less than perfect drainage grade for surface water.

Images are below (I hope..I have posted images to this board before). The grass never seems to die off. The roots seem to be attached well to the dirt. I thought it might be grubs, the lack of the grass dieing & tight roots make me think otherwise. The grass surface seems to have a fuzzy appearance. Hopefuly you can see the stalks of the grass in the photos.

I did treat it about a week ago with an broad spectrum insecticide that does cover grubs, but it's hard to say whether things are changing yet. It's DRY here. I've had about 1 inch of rain in the last 2 months.

Hopefully the images will post:

http://users.wi.net/~datuboat/images/grass1.jpg

http://users.wi.net/~datuboat/images/grass2.jpg

http://users.wi.net/~datuboat/images/grass3.jpg

NickN
08-02-2007, 10:31 AM
The grass is hybrid bermuda.The septic system is putting out methane gas,which damages the bermuda in hot weather.It will come back though.
Lack of rain doesn't help.

Fishboat
08-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Bermuda grass in Wisconsin? I'm sure it was never planted intentionally as the previous owners seeded kentucky blue / fescue and just mowed it..not much else. It looks like this year around, just worse whne it gets hot & dry. The methane gas is interesting. I'll have to look into that.

I'd like to 'cure' it somehow to bring it back to how the rest of the lawn looks. Hopefully this won't involve ripping it out & starting over.

NickN
08-02-2007, 03:10 PM
It's bermuda,no doubt.In Wisconsin?I have no idea why.Also,that's sodded hybrid bermuda.Too dense for common or improved common.If I'm wrong,I need to quit this business.:D
Here's a pic of one down here we do.

NickN
08-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey,do a search on "bentgrass".It looks alot like some fine,hybrid bermudas,but it is listed for use in your state.See if you can match yours with the pics and details of bentgrass.It may be creeping bentgrass that you have.

Guzman Properties
08-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I think it's bent grass too, it's effecting your big toe already.....

Fishboat
08-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Guz,
That toe does look like its taking a hard left, but its been through alot. Most importantly its still there & it still works.

As for creeping bent grass. I think you guys nailed it. Here's a couple quotes I located:

"Creeping bentgrass spreads by vigorous above-ground stems and forms puffy, dense patches of fine-textured grass capable of forcing out other turfgrasses."

"Creeping bentgrass can occur in most lawns throughout growing season, especially in moist, fertile areas where the turf is closely mowed."

Well, I don't mow closely...I keep the lawn at a good 3 inches, but the rest sounds reasonable. The area can be wet for quite a while in the spring & it does look like its crowding out the other grasses. Most hits I got on a search discuss how to keep it going & maintain it (golfing greens)....it's a bit too healthy in my case.

Any thoughts on how to make this stuff go away? You'd be proud of the rest of the lawn. I mow every 3-4 days & keep it looking great, but this one area is the pits. I suppose ripping it out is the first step, but how do I keep it gone?...short of regrading half the front lawn to drain better...ugh. Are there any herbicides that treat it like a weed while leaving normal northern grasses intact?

thanks for the help..

MILSINC
08-03-2007, 05:25 PM
that is without a doubt creeping bentgrass. I planted it in a part of my lawn just for craps and giggles. it spread quickly, but does not like drought whatsoever. If you want it out, you will have to get yourself some roundup and replace that area.