PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor problem

eZrider
08-01-2007, 09:02 PM
I know it's not lawn equipment but figured I would ask. I have a small Craftsman air compressor that just quit running. When I flip the switch it just buzzes and I get a puff of smoke out of the motor housing.

I took the cover off and released the pressure from the tank. With the pressure off I can manually spin the motor over and it will start up and run until it reaches pressure but will not start back up automatically.

Any ideas? Is the start capacitor bad?

twj721
08-01-2007, 09:26 PM
sounds like your CAPACITOR START MOTOR has gone out

General Landscaping
08-01-2007, 09:41 PM
It would help to know what type you have.
My belt drive unit had that problem..... traced it back to a bad check valve.
The compressor head would not unload after shutdown, it was trying to start with full pressure in the cylinders.

eZrider
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
It is a 3 gl, 1hp. Here is a picture of it. The link below shows the parts break down.

http://www3.sears.com/imaging/ImagePageJava.shtml?productTypeID=0703000&brandID=0247&modelDesc=AIR%20COMPRESSOR&modelNumber=921153101&documentID=P0512036&documentTypeID=PLDM&documentClassCode=PM&titleType=AIR%20COMPRESSOR&titleID=00001&

John Stiles
08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
You may have burnt the start coil in the motor[smoke]it sounds like a start capacitor, but it may also have a centrifical controlled switch that changes from start coil to run coil after the speed of the motor is such that the C-force slings the weight outwards allowing the switch to operate. Any way you go, the smoke is a bad sign that the coils of wire in the motor field superheated enough to probly need a new motor. I hope I'm wrong!`john