PDA

View Full Version : 19.9 avergae MPG, HOLY S***

mike lane lawn care
08-02-2007, 12:31 AM
ok, so i went to the cape for the day, because my mom and brother are down there for the week, so i decided it was a good excuse to take the day off from work. it's roughly 3.5-4 hours each way, depending on how well i obey the speed limit. On the way down, i used cruise control the entire time(70 MPH) which kept me right up with the traffic, and i had the windows up and the A/C off. i only used about a 1/4 tank. I was freaking amazed when i filled up at the cape and calculated my average MPG, 19.94!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :)

i usually only get like 15 at the most, but that's around town driving. this was the first long trip i had made with this truck, and was pleasantly surprised. while at the cape, i used up about a 1/4 tank of fuel driving around, and driving in 4-hi, with deflated tires on the beach.(i aired them back up to 65 PSI when i was finished with the sand driving) on the way home however, i decided i was gonna enjoy the long drive a little more than on the way there. i had the windows down(rear slider open too) and didn't use cruise control, i used almost double the fuel that i had used going down. when it was all said and done, i put 658 miles on the truck in just over 15 hours, and averaged 16.2 MPG for the entire trip, which isn't bad, considering what i was doing.

***oh by the way, does anyone know of any good places to off road at the cape that don't require paying $50 for a permit?

KS_Grasscutter
08-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Ummm... how could you stand windows up/ac off? I think I would like die...I use my AC a LOT (in both trucks, now that my AC works in my Chevy).

Petr51488
08-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Ummm... how could you stand windows up/ac off? I think I would like die...I use my AC a LOT (in both trucks, now that my AC works in my Chevy).

Yea, really, it must has stunk in there when you got there. He might have used the air, just not the a/c.. still hotttt

mike lane lawn care
08-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Yea, really, it must has stunk in there when you got there. He might have used the air, just not the a/c.. still hotttt

yea, i had the blower on, just not the A/C, it didn't get too bad in there, just was a heck of a lot nicer on he way home.

grassmanak
08-02-2007, 02:39 AM
i watch the instant fuel guage in my truck and when traveling 70 when i kick on the a/c it drops 1.5-2mpg instantly

Travel'n Trees
08-02-2007, 04:58 AM
air temp, octane of fuel

mike lane lawn care
08-02-2007, 12:38 PM
it was about 80 degrees out, and running 87 octane.

SiteSolutions
08-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Are you running Load Range D or E tires? I am assuming you are talking about the GMC 1500 4x4. 65 psi is a lot for regular light truck tires, but I bet it would make for some stellar gas mileage.

IA_James
08-03-2007, 01:04 AM
Would also ride like crap. I would rather be "not sweaty" than get 19.9 mpg vs. 17-18, which I got with my '03 5.3 Chevy.

razor1
08-03-2007, 10:52 AM
i had the windows down(rear slider open too) and didn't use cruise control, i used almost double the fuel that i had used going down.

At highway speeds having the windows down uses approx. the same amount of fuel as having the AC on. :cry: So why not keep cool. :blob2:

By the way what was the ocean temp at the cape?

cantoo
08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Wind speed and direction have a lot to do with gas mileage.

mike lane lawn care
08-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Are you running Load Range D or E tires? I am assuming you are talking about the GMC 1500 4x4. 65 psi is a lot for regular light truck tires, but I bet it would make for some stellar gas mileage.

load range E tires, the ride was pretty good.

mattfromNY
08-03-2007, 06:26 PM
A little off topic, but reminds me of once when I was a kid working on a local dairy farm. We rented a big 4 wheel drive JD tractor to mow hay. I got to run it one day. As an expirement, I pulled the fuse to the hour meter (which also shuts off the A/C, and the blower, for whatever reason they were on the same fuse)... Thought I was smart and would save my boss some $$$$ on rental hours. Sweated my you-know-whats off all day. Took the tractor back to the dealership, and they calculated hours based on the ENGINE hour meter, not the meter in the cab!!!?????!!!!! Man, I really kicked myself over that one! Live and learn, I guess.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
08-03-2007, 07:14 PM
What motor is in your truck?

mike lane lawn care
08-03-2007, 08:23 PM
What motor is in your truck?

it's just the 4.3L V6, but it does whatever i ask of it, from hauling my toys up the mountain, to transporting a pickuptruck on a flatbed trailer down the interstate.

ALarsh
08-04-2007, 09:12 PM
it's just the 4.3L V6, but it does whatever i ask of it, from hauling my toys up the mountain, to transporting a pickuptruck on a flatbed trailer down the interstate.

Godddd... puuuhhhhhllleeeeaaassseee stop this nonsense.

J&R Landscaping
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM

Sounds like you outta trade both them vehicles in for either agood rollback or a wrecker.

mike lane lawn care
08-06-2007, 10:27 PM

HUH? it's within my tow limits, if i need to tow heavier than what my truck is rated for. i have access to a ford F-250 superduty, and a ford excursion V10.

sildoc
08-06-2007, 11:24 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same as I average 17 in town and pulling my trailer on interstate, all the while having ac on. I also can get 24 driving 65 long distances while being comfortable, i.e. ac. Yeah it is only a 3/4 ton dodge. go figure.

Lawn Enforcer
08-07-2007, 05:10 PM
This spring I took a trip with my Dad down to Knoxville Raceway for the World of Outlaws Budweiser Shoot-Out (Which was awesome by the way) and driving on I-35 my truck averaged 18.9 mpg @ 70 mph, so I was happy that we didn't take my Dad's Jeep! We also stopped @ Menards in Altoona and bought some bungee cords and an angle grinder so we could write off the whole trip! :clapping:
P.S. My truck is a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd w/ 4.7 V8